Cockroaches at IP - whose responsibility

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by plaid, 6th Oct, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. plaid

plaid New Member

TL;DR
    Tenant has a cockroach problem.
    PM insists I should pay for a pest spray.
    I refuse noting tenants have lived in IP for nearly four years with two dogs (one was actually not approved by me but that is a story for another day).

Long form
    Have an IP in Qld. Tenant has notified PM of a cockroach problem. PM says "As pest control hasn't been done on the property for some time, it is probably due for a spray".

I respond that it was not a landlord responsibility noting the tenants have lived at the IP for nearly four years.

PM informs me "QLD legislation states that the property must be kept free from vermin and pests and must be treated as required (but no more than annually), by the owner. We don't approach any owner at all for pest control until a tenant brings it to our attention so effectively, you are not out of pocket on an annual basis for pest control, only when this is required."

I request to be referred to the QLD legislation.

PM responds "I have attached to this email page x of your management agreement and have highlighted the contractual obligation."

Extract of agreement states:
    While the tenancy continues the Client (i.e. me) must, at their own cost:
    - maintain the Property and inclusions in a reasonable state of repair, and comply with local and state authority building regulations.
    - ensure the Property is safe for the Tenant/s to live in.
    - treat the Property as necessary for a licensed pest controller.

I respond "Given you have now referred to the property management agreement which simply states "as necessary" (a very broad and discretionary term which can be argued in a tribunal), I assume there is no actual legislation stating that pest control is solely the landlords responsibility."

Thoughts - what would you do?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Tenant must sort it, and I mean seriously, people (tenants) these days are so useless and helpless, for less than $20 at woolies you could go to war for 5 years against these basic pests, or just don't live like a filthy pig and keep your place clean and not an animal farm.

Caveat, this is more for like termite or wasp/bee infestations that are outside the scope of a lay person fixing where Lessor should step in.

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Oct, 2022
    Antoni0, Lacrim, Morgs and 1 other person like this.
  3. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I would say the tenant if it has been free of pests from the start and the property is in good condition. I've had the same fight with my property manager as my previous tenants did not clean properly.

Refer to the property condition reports from the property manager, have they noted anything in it like the tenant is not cleaning up the property correctly.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Pretty poor advice and conduct from the property manager.

Pests such as cockroaches generally fall into a ‘gap’ between the core legislated obligations of the tenant and lessor - Tenants to keep a place reasonably clean. Lessors to maintain the premises.

Which usually means the party that wants it done will have to cover the cost to do it (tenant usually).

Exceptions obviously come along when pests stray into the area of either cleanliness (eg. because there’s just crap everywhere), or maintenance (eg. Beehives inside the walls or something).

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

What would I do? I’d just do a pest spray and move on.

What’s the legal requirement - no idea.

Heinz57 likes this.
  6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

If it's those german cockroaches, one pest control a year isn't enough to get rid of them once they reach plague proportions. I'd get onto it as quick as possible as they get into all the electrics like the stove and dishwasher and cause big problems. They are also immune to a lot of pesticides and not an easy thing to get rid of.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum;)

For a quick and easy method to find an answer try using the search function
    Screenshot_20221009-083928_Samsung Internet.jpg
    To find a multitude of answers
    Screenshot_20221009-084051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    :cool:

plaid, Michael Mitchell and Antoni0 like this.
  8. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Honestly, just did Pest Control at my PPOR and Granny and it was $308.

I think it’s worthwhile doing it once a year for a piece of mind regardless - at least if the place ever becomes a dump you know pests aren’t making their way through

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I usually do a spray at the start of the tenancy.......after that, they are the tenants responsibility.

wylie likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Same here. And we ask tenants for spray on the way out so generally we start with a pest free house, tenant keeps it pest free whilst living there and does an exit spray.

If we have issues, we do another spray. But that is rare.

11. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Some cockroaches mutate, change colour and keep appearing everywhere, no matter how much spray.
    [​IMG]

craigc, Stoffo, skater and 2 others like this.