VIC Coburg - OTP Townhouses

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jonno Yeo, 3rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jonno Yeo

Jonno Yeo Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Have a few questions.

Looking at purchasing an off the plan townhouse in Coburg.

My first question is in regards to the off the plan stamp duty concession. Trying to understand it but struggling!

Say the construction is at 40% completion, purchase price is $650K. How much stamp duty are we looking at? From the SRO website, it states duty on improved land value and completed construction (not sure how to calculate this?)

Second question is, what are the areas to 'stay away' from in Coburg. Our budget is around $650k, with a requirement of a ~40sqm+ backyard, around the north to north east suburbs. Can't find anything in Preston in our price range so have defaulted to Coburg. The townhouse i've found so far is just a 2min walk to Batman Train Station which is a huge plus for me since I work in the CBD. The area seems quietish and OK from what i've seen, living in Abbotsford/Richmond now so will be a bit of a change.

Open to areas slightly further from the CBD but would have to be serviced by a train and located near a station which I'm finding hard with this budget, especially with the ~40sqm+ backyard which is limiting options.

Thanks all.