Clothesline for tenant

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by filipe, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Put a clothesline in for your tenant

1. Yes, definitely

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No, not essential

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Minimum a folding line (wall mount) etc for a villa etc. The bigger the home the bigger the line. You cant have a small folding line for a 4 bed home. If its doesnt fit large sheets for a house its inadequate.

There appears no formal requirement in NSW but a landlord may not refuse a reasonable request to modify a property - a clothesline would meet that test. Three clotheslines would not. Question - who pays ? If a tenant commences tribunal actions for a omitted clothesline it may be seen by tribunal as a necessary item. Might be better to ensure one is provided

Joynz likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've not come across a dryer overseas - they all dry their clothes in an airing closet/in the basement near the central heating unit.

Joynz likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I guess I'm suggesting drying assisted by electricity or the household heating as opposed to line drying for absolutely free.

I'm so thankful that we don't have to heat a whole house. It is quite foreign to us here in a country where you can hang clothes up and take them back inside within an hour (often).

And I guess if you are heating the house anyway for the household occupants and can piggy back drying clothes without adding more to the power used, that is a good outcome.

4. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Agree that you should just put one in. Our current tenants said they chose our place over others because we had toilet roll holders and the others did not. Tenants before that said they chose our place because we had fly screens and others did not. For the minimal $ required for a clothesline it's a no brainer IMO.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wtf!?

Can we find those landlords and ask what they are thinking? New pole required to flush them out

But. ..on the other hand how easy is it to have the pick of the litter by installing standard household items! Imagine if you supplied door handles too!

Joynz likes this.
  6. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

My youngest daughter was climbing & swinging around the hills hoist pole yesterday afternoon like it was a stripper pole.
    So I turned on the garden sprinkler on underneath it.
    Got told off by her, got told off by the Wife for wetting the clothes on the line also.
    Hope I've managed to change a career choice though !!

Shark likes this.
  7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Interestingly, we don't have one and rented out our house without one with no comment from the tenants although it was only for one year. I also find them ugly and a bit annoying. I use a dryer sometimes or other times, will hang them on a clothes airer inside

Xenia likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

For me, it’s the clothesline every time. Even in winter, a decent line gets the clothing dry in Melbourne.

What's more sunshine is free and sustainable. And it leaves the clothes smelling of fresh air.

What's not to love!

I like the idea of an airing rack on a pulley in the laundry so the clothes are heated by warmer air near the ceiling - but out of the way.

9. Shark

Shark Member

I recently had an issue with not having anywhere to put a clothesline on a difficult site.
    After a lot of searching for a solution I came across these slimline lines you can attach to a building or a fence etc.. Easy to install, good quality and can be taken down or swung inwards in seconds if need be.

Versaline Clotheslines Australia | Washing Line | Buy direct

10. Scott No Mates

We picked up 2 no-name foldalines from Bunnies - paid $15 each :p

11. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Just reviving this thread as I've just had a PM come to me and quote me $380 for a "Supply and fit new wall mounted clothes line. Large"
    I get the tenants need it but that seems a bit steep to me?!

12. Scott No Mates

Sounds fair enough - Hills | Mitre 10

13. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

14. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Dont you just love landlords who are reluctant to provide clothes lines, toilet roll holders, fly screens etc? ...:eek:

15. qak

qak Well-Known Member

And going to Bunnings to buy, transporting it, digging the holes, mixing the concrete, providing the supports to keep it upright while setting, removing the supports ...

16. Scott No Mates

You wouldn't begrudge it for your own home but why do rental properties 'deserve' less?

Joynz likes this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

qak and Joynz like this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You need to get the actual specs - brand and style before it’s possible to determine the value.

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Wall mounted so no concrete...

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Great suggestion. As it’s wall mounted, the OP just needs a Hammer drill or impact driver and a level.

Angel likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia