Closing in under house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by John Fish, 4th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have a IP that is highset and I'd like to close it in under. It is legal height under however I'm told that due to a rule update it can not be considered "liveable" once closed in due to slab not being high enough. The property is 90m2....180m2 would be much better.

1. Any ideas on a rough cost to close in?
    2. Any tips on ways around the slab height issue?
    3. Do people care if it's not "liveable" space?
    4. Can I still fit a bathroom or toilet?

Thank you in advance

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Regarding the slab height it needs to achieve sufficient clearance above external ground level for drainage purposes. It may be more economical to lower the external ground level than build up the internal slab level. Get a builder to have a look who can advise on external drainage, also check underside vapour barrier, and possible slab edge dampness issues that could arise.

John Fish and KayTea like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Bathroom/laundry/kitchens/hallways can be 2100 mm as these aren't habitable rooms under the Building Code of Oz.

John Fish likes this.
  4. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

Thanks guys, that's great news.

5. NeedMoreTime

NeedMoreTime Well-Known Member

Also consider if you are sheeting the externally walls on both sides that it will allow easy termite access unless precautions are taken.

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

The slab under usually has to have been poured for the purpose of living areas (damp course, height, consistency, core, depth, piers, edgings, etc.). The rules for height above external may be able to be worked through as @vbplease notes.

But you need to know whether the slab that's there has any chance of being used - that's not a council thing but a engineer's (maybe builder's) knowledge. They may have to dig or core drill to know for sure. If not, you'll need to remove the existing slab and pour a new one.