Closed Closed threads

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Ed Barton, 3rd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

A number of threads have been moved to politics unnecessarily. Only paid members can post there. Why?

If I can't post in those threads I would like the thread I created deleted and posts in other threads deleted.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

As you have hopefully seen in this announcement: New forum topic: Politics - I am trying an experiment as a compromise between banning all threads on politics completely vs limiting who can post.

I'm still thinking through all of the ramifications of this experimental policy and I'm very aware of the challenge it poses when people can't post in a thread they started.

Threads which are actually more related to economics could be moved to the economics forum instead - but then any political discussion would be not permitted, so it's tricky when the topics of economics and politics tend to be quite closely linked.

This new approach was triggered by me needing to spend quite a bit of time this morning deleting several dozen posts from both the The Best News and a New Era - Denuclearization, North/South Korea and the What Happens During A Trade War.. threads when both continue to stray into territory which we don't tolerate.

That being said - while going through many of the existing political discussions, I did find quite a few threads which would be problematic if moved to this Politics forum in that they haven't otherwise broken any rules or caused any problems. So more thought is obviously required.

Happy to look at alternative approaches.

3. Simon Hampel

Also, if I can't reconcile the issues - it is fairly trivial to revert things back to the way they were.

I'm also happy to reassess threads on a case-by-case basis. Feel free to report the first post in any thread you feel is problematic so the moderators can consider it.

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Why don't you just pay up and then you can keep your thread?

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Maybe your initial idea is fair but because you set a new boundary, you're experiencing a little backlash and self-doubt. Happens a lot. Good move; don't over-think it. It's more than fair.

6. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

And sit there by myself?

Most of the people who discuss these forbidden items aren't paid up members.

Moderator in chief needs to relax a bit.

7. Simon Hampel