Clive Palmer is spending big

Discussion in 'Politics' started by geoffw, 14th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

A legend in his own lunchtime ;)!!!

And I would say, he has had a few of those :D.

datto and Lizzie like this.
  2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Well I for one am glad we have eccentric billionaires like Clive around. So many boring billionaires in the world just living in mansions driving luxury cars and shuffling their cash pile around between tax havens. (though go be fair he does those things too)

I will vote for him, but only if he promises to bring back Titanic 2, staffed entirely with people dressed as dinosaurs.

Serveman, Redwing and kierank like this.
  3. kierank

Are you alluding to me? :D

Blueskies likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't have thought so. @Blueskies doesn't have any allusions.

Blueskies and kierank like this.
  5. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I just wonder whether the twisted sister thing is some sought of a set up to promote both Clive and Dee Snider. When was the last time Dee Snider toured here? Have they met in person yet to discuss matters. Clive wants to go on stage with him and Dee wants a fight but admits if Clive sits on him, he is gone.
    I have also seen Clive's new game that includes Bill Shorten, Ray Hadley and the Qld premier.
    What's Clive up to? The guy has billions, he doesn't need to do this, maybe it's entertainment for him. He is also free to say what he wants about both parties.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I find his "popularist" ranting rather disturbing. The latest version is he's claiming that business shouldn't pay their GST until the end of the year - so they can spend it in the meantime and put more cash back into the economy.

The disturbing thing is that GST is not your money to spend - and what happens if you spend it, get to the end of the year and cannot afford you tax bill (as it has to be paid sometime). A lot of businesses have come really unstuck by spending the GST monies

balwoges and Islay like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Clive can come.up with all sorts of ideas that sound good to people. Because he knows that he will never actually be in the position to implement the ideas.

Lizzie and kierank like this.
  8. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Yes, we have had a lot of very good accounting advice over many years but one of the first things I remember our first accountant saying as we were starting out (well before gst) was never spend the tax mans money! In other words don’t cash flow with money you need to pay taxes. Still very good advice I believe

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Yes true, many people have lost the skill of budgeting and building strong businesses with simple and traditional concepts.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - I had it hammered into me that the GST monies collected "was not my money" to spend ... similar to our SMSF "is not our money and should not be used personally under any circumstances"

The ATO scares me more than the FedPolice so I keep my fingers well away from both lots of monies

kierank likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just wait till you get the phone call from the ATO telling you owe 20k and if you don't give them your credit card details the Federal Police are armed and ready to ram raid the front gates and i'm off too the Correctional Centre ..Still waiting …

Handyandy and Lizzie like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I did have a call once, from the ATO, that sounded like a scam, and I refused to give them personal information to identify myself. I was actually quite rude to the caller and told them to (ahem) go away.

When I rang the ATO back with a "oh ***, it might have been genuine" - found out that it really was an ATO employee. Apologised profusely. Still think I was in the right not disclose anything.

willair likes this.
  13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I keep calling those guys back but they keep hanging up on me. I havent quite learnt how to string them along yet.

14. kierank

Same with employee super contributions; can’t use them to pay bills either.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just play dumb and act like your going to give them all the details ...

16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Roaring back: Clive's latest wild statement at Coolum resort

Also