Clipsal Zen/Saturn Two/Three Way Switching

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tifoso, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Hi team,

I'm building a new home at the moment, and have run into a very annoying issue.

I want to use the Zen series of switches in the home because they look fantastic, and also have the backlit switch, which can be set to on while the light is off, and off when the light is on.

The issue is as follows:

I'm told only one way switches can be used for the backlit effect. For any two way or three way switches, the backlit effect doesn't work.

As such, those switches just appear "dead" all the time.

My lighting plan has a reasonable number of two and three way switches, so I find this restriction REALLY annoying.

I'd be happy if they were just on all the time.

Anyone here with these switches in their home, with backlighting working effectively on two or three way switches? Any electricians?

Thanks in advance,

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

It may depend if a neutral is available behind the switch. Sometimes only the active and switch wire is dropped down to the switch point and sometimes the neutral is there also (on old homes). If there is a neutral then usually you can wire it so the switch is illuminated for backlighting. If it is a new build then you may be able to make sure a neutral is available at all switch points.
    Just check with your sparky that this assumption is correct.

3. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Hi mate yep brand new build. About to begin rough in for wiring.

4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

That sounds good, check with the sparky that those switches will work as you want if a neutral is supplied to them. With 2 or 3 way they will not work the illumination as in a single switch situation but you should be able to achieve "always on" illumination.

Make sure your are talking to the sparky and not some guys who just pull in the cables because they will usually not know.

5. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Neutrals at the switch is the easiest fix, however I have also been told running the neons across the "strapas" (your sparky should understand that) will achieve what your after.

6. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys, yer the sparky is used to doing reasonably high end builds but no one has asked him this before!!

We chatted earlier and he has a plan to do it but apparently two separate muppets at Clipsal told him it wouldn’t work. We’re goinf to try it and see.

Worst case we’ll have the always on option, but I really want the switches to “talk”.

Thanks!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia