climate warrior brats

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 25th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Greta can fluently talk in 2 languages and does well in school.

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Sep, 2019
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Wasn't going to re-engage in this thread as it's pretty pointless ... neither side is prepared to budge and I personally feel comfortable I will be on the right side of history ... however ... came across this tonight and found it really insightful

Why is Greta Thunberg so triggering for certain men? (and women)

"... who’s the real freak – the activist whose determination has single-handedly started a powerful global movement for change, or the middle-aged man taunting a child with Asperger syndrome from behind the safety of their computer screens?

And that, of course, is the real reason why Greta Thunberg is so triggering ... the truth is that they’re afraid of her ... terrified of her as an individual, and of what she stands for – youth, determination, change.

She is part of a generation who won’t be cowed. She isn’t about to be shamed into submission by trolls. That’s not actually a look of apocalyptic dread in her eyes. It’s a look that says “you’re not relevant” "

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2019
    Propagate, geoffw and LibGS like this.
  4. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Nonsense. This is Dushanbe in Tajikistan: [​IMG]

wylie, geoffw and Lizzie like this.
  5. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Yep it’s all an over reaction...

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The people that can make it happen are not listening. They are swayed by the mighty dollar. If she galvanises enough people though, there is hope that some governments may start to realise if they don't listen and act, they will lose power.

Lizzie and Perp like this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I disagree with that article, I don’t think fear plays a factor (and to be honest there are very few things in life that I fear, she is not of if those things).

What I didn’t like about the article is the amount of assumptions, of course I am aware that the article is not penned directly at me however by grouping the none supporters together they have targeted me as part of that group.

They talk about bullying and then go so far as to say we are scared and regret our life choices etc etc.

Is this not exactly the same bullying thing?

I regret nothing about my life, I fear very little in life. I still don’t like the way she spoke, I think if I stood up in front of a bunch of people and said how dare you and you have ruined it and now you come to me to fix it, I would not be very popular and I’m a grown ass adult.

Are we meant to accept this behaviour from a child?

Why? Because she is “passionate”?

On a side note with regards to her speaking two languages, pretty much every school kid in Europe learns English. I’m not saying that it’s not good I mean hell I can only speak English and some VERY basic French but it’s not something I would note as astounding about her education.

On yet another side note, I love this forum. This is the only place I can discuss things like this without it getting heated or people degrading to name calling, just a bunch of folks with different opinions discussing :).

kierank, Marg4000 and MTR like this.
  8. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Behaviour? Her rhetoric is designed to make people focus on her cause. And it has, everyone is talking about it including Trump. If it was a flat boring speech, well, it wouldn’t exist because that’s pointless.

People who go on about it being “bad behaviour” because she’s a “child” (come on, in two years she will be an adult) remind me of those old farts a few decades ago who went on about children “being seen but not heard.” And why shouldn’t she get a say when it’s the earth she and her generation are inheriting?

It was a passionate speech, not “bad behaviour.” Was General Patton’s speech to the third army “bad behaviour”? Or is it passion because he was old? Sigh.

Lizzie, wylie and Perp like this.
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I see it as pretty much the voice of an upcoming generation, on top of the 2 or so that are already pretty ****** about the inaction on climate change. The only ones that seem unconvinced are 50+, but they have a lot less time left to worry about it.

Thing is the its likely the majority now believe in climate science and what it is telling us, so its only a minority who now disagree. Maybe her opinions, and those of other kids who strike are a little immature, but over time and as they grow that resolve will only become more firm. I think that worries quite a few out there.

There is no real agenda here - kids being puppets of the big bad evil climate change movement? seriously?

I can see some parallels of children marching in the 1980's over nuclear disarmament and de-proliferation... looking back I don't think too many now see them as "poor misguided pawns" who were mislead, carrying out somebody else's agenda, but now the very right thing to do at the time.

George Smiley, wategos, LibGS and 5 others like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

There are quite a lot of us "over 50's" pretty ****** off too ... and don't **** off those who have nothing to lose by being ****** off!

Twice this week I've been on the news - one for rightfully heckling a local federal pollie for his transition-denial BS - another a state pollie for their erosion-caused-by-state-infrastructure-denial BS. Oddly enough - or maybe not - they're both coming around fairly quickly

spludgey and LibGS like this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Okay - I really don't want to get to the point of banning people because of an off topic thread, so I'm going to close it here.

Marg4000, bashworth and Lizzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.