Climate risk

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Beelzebub, 12th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Last edited: 13th Aug, 2015
  2. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Yes... and cyclones, hurricanes, storms are still getting stronger. They get faster quicker, are wetter and more destructive.

http://m.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ClimateStorms/page2.php

But I see you're a climate change denier so I don't expect linking a page with evidence will adjust your thinking.

3. Bayview

You are all wrong about that.

I am not a CC denier - I see climate change every day, and have done for over 50 years.

What I do have a healthy cynicism for is the degree of CC that people spruike on about as something abnormal on our planet, and the degree of influence on climate we human think we have.

Did you not read the links?

We have been having very destructive cyclones and floods forever.

Now; all of a sudden; because we have arrived on the scene, they are getting more destructive?

How much more destructive can you get than almost the entire city of Darwin being flattened?

Or, a few million folks getting killed from a flood in China a few centuries ago? If it happened today there would be even more casualties because there are probably 20 times more population in that same area now.

The degree of intensity is no greater; just more folks in it's path.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/climatology/trends.shtml

There isn't a lot of evidence in that graph to suggest an increase in cyclones. If anything; a decrease. But let's be fair and call it all square.

The blurb predicts there might be an increase, but so far; no.

It says; "There is substantial evidence from theory and model experiments that the large-scale environment in which tropical cyclones form and evolve is changing as a result of greenhouse warming."

But; the temps haven't increased for the last 18 years apparently, so...o_O

The key words are "theory" and "model".

So, where I come from with all this is we need to insert a bit of objectivity and not get hysterical and run around crying that the sky is about to fall...by our own hands. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2015
  4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

The last two councils that we purchased in had just updated their maps for future floods and I know other councils are following.

5. Bayview

What did the updates show?

Had the topography changed in that area to possibly create a higher risk of flooding?

Chilliblue likes this.
  6. Xjas

Xjas Active Member

7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@willair thank is an interesting link! I subscribe to a couple of Port Phillip Publishing - a paid share advisory service (I only dabble spare change in shares) as I really like some of their slightly hair brained and conspiratorial theories. One of those is a "Global Cooling" theory for the next 20 yrs particularly from 2017/18 on. I cant publish as they are big on privacy but will have to go find the link to the research they quote.

8. BuyersAgent

Not topography rather climate change models are being used by councils allowing for rising sea levels over the next 50 yrs. I have seen several councils do this too. It means properties that have never flooded can now be classed as flood zone. I have to ask clients to ring a few insurers to get an idea of cost when a property we might be targeting is caught. Some hear the word flood and run a mile, which is fine. Others want to understand the actual risk and manage it.

9. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Even if you discountbthe risk of climate change, councils are'nt eg
    http://www.lakemac.com.au/page.aspx?pid=844
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2337894/lake-council-moves-to-stop-development-on-low-lying-land/
    Another Council I had dealings with a few years ago said we haven't changed the rules, your floor still has to be 1 m above 1 in 100 year flood level, we've just changed where we're measuring. As a result the latest building onthat site has a floor 30 cm higher than buildings built a few years earlier which were 1m above 1 in 100 year flood level.

Maybe the poster should have asked about political risk because of climate change

10. BuyersAgent

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have read a bit of what they talk about they seem to have a voracious appetite for new out of the box shape shifter ideas,and understand a bit more then normal people walking down the street with the ear phones on looking into the mobile about the different ideas and relationships between peoples lives and the sometimes so called terrifying momentum of the media and world events..

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not at all, but if buying in flood prone areas would make sure to check flood maps etc... and if coastal/waterfront, check council flood/erosion overlays.

13. Bayview

True.

Back in the days when I was buying IP's, I looked at buying sight-unseen in Katherine :eek: (higher rental yields).

The agents I spoke to were very helpful about where to buy and not to buy due to demographics, and flood prone areas....

Didn't buy in the end.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2015
  14. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

One council had undertaken significant changes to accommodate further development including drainage of wetlands so it was interesting to note the changes from old to new. I also noted that in the Council meetings, the councillors agreed that the previous flood plan was "stick a wet finger in the air" plan as the reason why a new and independent one was required.

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not that I have any experience in the above,but from my simple understanding it looks that way and it's a simple logical conclusion but you will not see these facts in mainstream media,the same as big money backed pharmaceutical companies that are better at inventing new diseases,i could post some links to underground free thinkers ,but that may trigger numerous worldwide copyright alerts..

16. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

What temperatures are you talking about? ocean temps are rising (and affecting ecosystems, carbon levels and climate patterns).

bayview, you're not just rejecting climate change science but the whole scientific method. I wonder how not accepting the work of scientists affects other aspects of your day to day life? Or do you believe that this is the world's biggest conspiracy theory?

regardless, while youve had your fingers in your ears, the debate moved on years ago for decision makers and the rest of us.

17. Notlad Samoht

Notlad Samoht Active Member

Call me overly cautious, but I have decided not to buy in Queensland at all. With recent flooding and massive storms, now earth quakes etc I'd rather pick somewhere else!

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Science, schmience. Every day something else comes out saying they fudge the figures.

19. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Who is 'they' and why would they want to fudge figures?

'science, schmience' - baaahahahahahahah

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's the $100 Billion question isn't it.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia