Climate factor in investments

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by JGC, 20th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JGC

JGC Member

Is there anyone on here who factors in climate with their purchases? Given the boom that's happened in QLD I feel like no one takes this into consideration.
    I was looking at buying in Tassie, but it's gotten too expensive and I worry about growth.
    I got a bit derailed and starting looking at Perth bc it's more in the price range but, isn't it going to be unbearably hot there soon and basically underwater? Should I just have a ~10-15yr investment plan there? (I'm in my mid-30s so that's probably not ideal).

Those people that care/think about this, where are "safer bets" to buy other than Tas? That are not too expensive I might add. Are there any hills in Perth :)

Nando Lee likes this.
  2. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

QLD will continue to rise. When you buy I think people are more aware of ensuring they are not being in flood impacted areas. Nobody is safe with climate change. Let's hope the world just take it seriously in the medium to long term for our children.

3. Nando Lee

Nando Lee Well-Known Member

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Where did you get this idea?

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

For Perth to be underwater it would require some kind of meteor strike or nuke to rip a great big hole into it and then the seawater could rush in to fill the hole. At that point in time, no-one will care about climate change.

Westminster likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Have you seen a map of Perth? Have you seen any photos of Perth? Perth is a very livable city - try doing some actual research on it.

Westminster likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Alice Springs shouldn't be affected by rising sea levels. The climate isn't going to revert to an ice age or produce another inland sea during your lifetime.

8. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

There is also hills in Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Sydney Cairns and Townsville that won't flood in your life time. Sadly builders probably don't even look at flood maps before developing. That seems to be changing given they won't get insured and therefore won't be able to move stock.

9. Mark@Inverell

Mark@Inverell Well-Known Member

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Plus even in the current status it's not even possible to build in a 1;100 flood plain unlike some states - not on stilts, nothing.

@JGC we've had a really hot summer but that's not the new norm. It will get hotter here by a couple of degrees but smart building, suburb selection and some trees will go a long way to helping that.

Angel likes this.
  11. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Short answer - you should factor in flood and bush fire into your consideration into your property investment.

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Correct. And bushfires are more prevalent in the Darling Scarp (or Hills) of Perth so whilst they might be more flood proof they are certainly a lot less fire proof.

gman65 likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Absolutely. Nobody wants an investment that is prone to fire, flood, earthquake, cyclone etc. Or that cant be insured.

14. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here.. all normal.

'Treacherous conditions': Powerful waves along NSW coastline expected to continue on Sunday

or maybe not?

Flood-hit NT communities take desperate measures as officials call for calm

and

Now they're out of McNuggets. Food shortage getting 'dire' in Alice Springs

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2022

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia