Climate change

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 15th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - the influenza plague of 1918 infected 30% of the population and ended up killing around 50mil in a world population of 1.9bil ... that would equate to around 240,000,000 in today's population.

Yearly increase is around 80mil - so 3 years worth

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Apr, 2019
  2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

"Climate change has taken place for thousands of millions of years. Climate change occurred before humans evolved on Earth. Any extraordinary claim, such as that humans cause climate change, must be supported by similarly extraordinary evidence, but this has not been done. It has not been shown that any measured modern climate change is any different from past climate change. The rate of temperature change, sea-level rise, and biota turnover is no different from the past.
    In the past, climate has changed due to numerous processes, and these processes are still driving it. During the time the humans have been on Earth there has been no correlation between temperature change and human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2). Past global warming have not been driven by an increase in atmospheric CO2.
    Without correlation, there can be no causation."
    Extract taken from a book, "Climate Change The Facts 2017" Institute of Public Affairs.
    This book is a collection of chapters by so-called climate skeptics. Each writer was asked to write on aspect of the topic in which they are considered to have some expertise. None of them deny that climate change is real, but instead, they point out how extremely complex the topic of Earth's climate change is, with some of the contributors also querying the, often generally accepted, solutions.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more that we are overpopulation the planet.

At the same time as that influenza plague which killed off so many people last century, we also enjoyed two pretty large wars. If anybody still wants to kill off millions or billions of fellow humans, I have to start wondering which ethics course they are on.

We have just spent several decades feeding Africa because all the poor people there were starving to death. The same (privileged white) Goodie Goodies now want to "eliminate" just as many because improved health care and nutrition caused a population increase and our current wars aren't killing as many people as before.

Get a grip.

Is this the same topic?

MTR likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No one is disputing this - the only guarantee is change.

The issue at the moment is the rate of change - the human influenced rate of change is at such a pace evolution cannot keep up this time around

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hey - I've had two sponsor kids continuously for 30+ years, and donate monthly to UNHCR for water improvement ... the problem is that we are trying to save the starving, yet they are not slowing the rate of production and, naturally, are seeking a better standard of living.

The planet simply cannot support the increasing population, combined with the higher rate of consumption - especially at the rate we are polluting it. Wars of the future won't be over money or power - they will be over arable land and fresh water

How Many People Can Earth Support?

7.5 billion and counting: How many humans can the Earth support?

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good to read some common sense on PC
    Thx

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Cripes - don't know how many times this needs to be repeated!

Yes - change is normal - change is always happening ... currently it is the rate of change that is very concerning

Nature cannot keep up with the required rate of evolution and is dying off at an alarming rate.

At the rate of dying, the natural planet will soon reach tipping point where the destruction cannot be halted

The Planet Is Dangerously Close to the Tipping Point for a 'Hothouse Earth'

Propagate likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So not under sea yet:p

9. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

And yet not a single greedy self interested scientist has published a formal paper to support this. I wonder why. :D

Propagate likes this.
  10. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

"Greenhouse gasses – mainly CO2, but also methane – were involved in most of the climate changes in Earth’s past. When they were reduced, the global climate became colder. When they were increased, the global climate became warmer. When CO2 levels jumped rapidly, the global warming that resulted was highly disruptive and sometimes caused mass extinctions. Humans today are emitting prodigious quantities of CO2, at a rate faster than even the most destructive climate changes in earth's past."

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Last night I watched Part 2 on SBS 'The Mediterranean from Above' - I had watched Part 1 and enjoyed it but Part 2 was an eye opener.

I had no idea the northern countries of Africa, Algeria, Morocco, Libya, Egypt are teetering on the edge of disaster. The desert is fast encroaching on the cities leaving them without land to grow the food they need and water is being imported from other countries. Egypt cant feed their population and imports wheat etc from other countries. Water is being drawn from the desert and is fast emptying the reserves of water available. One of the countries has only 3 days of water in reserve.

This together with the hordes of people from the southern parts who arrived daily looking for a better life in a country already overcrowded is a disaster in the making.

All this because of Climate Change, thought provoking and well worth having a look ... :(
    PS. The visual aspects of this documentary are superb!

Last edited: 21st Apr, 2019
    Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  12. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

This is a global issue.

Implications of climate change for Australia's national security
    Final Report – Parliament of Australia

13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I dont live under a rock ... :)

14. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I gave you that impression. I was agreeing and adding to what you said. By adding more formal references, it was addressed to other people reading this thread.

Lizzie and balwoges like this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Climate change is a bit like the Australian property cycle :rolleyes:
    Any person can collect figures or article's to support any given argument :p

All I know is that the sun is an ever expanding mass at the center :confused:
    But experts blame global warming :( (because we can tax that :mad: )
    One day in a few million years earth will look like a left over bit of onion on a bbq :eek:

16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Any any person can collect figures to refute climate change, where are they? Where is the formal evidence?

Here the facts on the sun.

What is the Life Cycle Of The Sun? - Universe Today
    I think we can handle it.

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

One major issue is that as the earth warms, the methane trapped in the frozen north tundra will be released.

Scientists have already shown that the methane is a far greater concern than co2

Butt I'm on my mobile so someone else will have to Google and link for me ...

18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

This is why there is no 3c of warming, once we get to that level a tipping point is triggered and we more or less go to 4c of warming due to feedback effects.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-bad-of-a-greenhouse-gas-is-methane/
    https://www.smh.com.au/environment/...ngerous-greenhouse-gases-20180926-p5065f.html

Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

If you will read the book I mentioned this is disputed, especially it is pointed out that CO2 may not be bad at all.....?

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Perhaps you need to broaden you reading to the other 98% of scientists who believe we have a problem this time around.

Yet again - it's not change - change is normal - it is the rate of change.

Yet again - it's not so much the carbon that is the problem - it is the methane that will be released once the earth warms up another 2 degrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.