Climate change march

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 20th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

if it was purely an energy issue, my line would be who cares how much energy they usenif it's 100% renewables BUT it's unfortunately not, as there are assets being used continuously and prone to wear and tear, leading to more white goods becoming landfill. hills hoists (or equivalent) and eaves ftw.

2. random

random Well-Known Member

Even if we d just go in circles here l still think it's just about time Aussies started standing up again and making some noise instead of just letting our embarrassing political morons lead us around like puppies while they spin their bs day in out. And this latest rubbing shoulders with trump stuff and mouthing off over there , God almighty . Trump being so desperate to show he has a friend somewhere and our morons falling straight into it .

Anyway , it might only be a thread in a forum but eh , change has gotta start somewhere right.
    The nuclear thing , l hate it, it leaves the most disgusting deadly waste they have to bore more holes kl in the earth just to bury it in drums forever , nothing clean about that. Not to mention what happens if the plant itself goes wrong goes wrong .The spillage from the last time will be taken through water and currents all over the planet and be effecting it and the ocean food we eat for the next 30yrs, saw the diagram of where it will flow and end up. Nice, not !
    Where as l would imagine most solar and wind bits could be recycled . l've built two solar systems myself and l know the parts, don't see why most of it couldn't be. Same with wind, apart from the fins, dunno wth they could do with those but there must be something.
    Personally , especially in this country , l don't see why we need anything else apart from those two.
    As for waste and garbage , ever stuff in your bin takes up even more space than the actual food and stuff you buy. A few bags of groceries somehow fills up a big bin every week. The crap they insist on wrapping everything up in is just insane, just more plastics and polished Irene, l'll bet you fill up a bin most weeks, maybe two, l do and l live on my own half the time.
    Only reason they have to use half that crap is because half the rubbish they sell us is already a week old by the the time we get it , yet we have to pay more for so called real food , organic, because of all their idiot legislation rules and costs. Yet you can go to the poorest countries for their beautiful food sitting in a wheelbarrow straight in from farms that morning or ocean.
    They don't need no plastic garbage to wrap it up in it's that real and fresh there's no need, a page of newspapers fine
    90% of our land fill problems shouldn't even exist . And if they cut their bs and crazy expenses rules and costs , would could actually afford to recycle what's left here but even though most of this stuff can be recycled anyway and sold in new stuff, it's so expensive and bombarded with so many rules and costs, they can't do it here.
    So the whole way they do anything here , just cuts of their nose to spite their face.

And yet , for all our fancy pretty packages , covered in written bs top to bottom , you still get scammed half the time with what it's suppose to be made off, it's a challenge to even buy real honey here, l mean who ever heard of something so damn ridiculous.
    Fish n chips use to be in news paper, oh no no no , that's not good enough here, now a fish n chip shop here now must use pallet loads of pretty , brand new crispy while paper .
    They were recycling better 40yrs ago than they are now because of our bs.

When l was a kid l grew up in a family of 12. But you know what, we only put out two little steel bins every week. A family of twelve put out less garbage then , than what l do now on my own half the time.
    And guess what , even those bins can be just bulldozed into land fill, they're only steel, they'd just rust back into the earth in a few years and end up back into the form we made them out of in the first place, ok they'll have some galv, but it's better than plastics.

Now , gigantic thick plastic things , can't put them back into the earth they'll be still there in 1000 yrs. Made from oil , bad, can't afford to recycle in this country , bad, 4times the size just encouraging more and more waste, bad, all our food and crap has to be all wrapped up fancy and pretty, more waste.

Yaknow , it's such a complicate thing in this country,, yet also so simple. With a lot of it just undoing our bs , would solve it.
    Eeven the old fish n chips, was recycling news papers and when it did get thrown out and end up in land fill , it's actually good for the garden so it won't hurt the earth and will just compost in in a few mths, no more news paper problems and it's used twice before it goes. And no more new wood needed to make the pallet loads of nice new shiny white stuff they're force to use now, once and then it just goes in the bin. How many trees to make that pretty stuff for our so called Australian standards, yaknow.

Wow , that was a bit of a rant, sorry bout that. Sad thing is it doesn't even scratch the surface.

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2019
    marty998, Joynz, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

Power wise , the stupidest thing is , they don't even need that stuff anyway. A house can be 100% self sufficient from it's own roof top , so could most industry and schools and offices . They only need a few wind farms for heavy industry.
    There's millions of 100% self sufficient homes all over the world, half of them built completely from recycled to boot.They were doing it 1000 yrs ago , 100% natural materials, and still standing.
    The crap we make here now lucky to last 100 and it's 1/2 man made garbage and plastics.
    But guess what , if you legally wanna build a 100% self sufficient home here even using free or recycled materials it'll probably cost you double through council bs , permits and legislation.

But here's another example of making our own trouble.
    l've got a cabin in a little country town. The whole towns had septics, forever.
    Not a problem in the world for 100yrs, clean , self sufficient , don't even know they're there. That towns full of people in their 90s but oh no , not good enough Australian standards and all the bs. why ?
    So they dig up the whole bloody town, run big plastic pipes through the earth to 50kl away and into their big flash new sewage plant built of god knows what as well and using zillions in energy and they don't even know what the hell to do with the sewage anyway because of more rules and regulations and costs and other towns .
    Ummm, the septic's were fine. Even small blocks can have them or compost loos.
    Then they decided they must put water on , why , wth for. Every house in the town been running on beautifully pure clean free rain tank water for 100yrs . More digging up the town and running pipes to some res 70kl away of treated water full of bloody God knows what water and another huge waste of more energy running the thing and pumping.
    Anddddd, the rates were put up 250%.

You know , there is no reason on this earth , that we can't just live on the top of the ground , disturbing nothing . It should and could be easily have been basically unscathed inside and out and happily providing everything we need because we'd work with it like they use too instead of against it in every possible way..
    Was for 1000s of years before the last 100 .

Oooops, another rant , ok l'll go to my corner now and shut up

marty998, Joynz, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  4. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

That's my point its not about us and them. It did happen it shows your ignorance if you are not part of groups like landcare CFA and local community groups you are just noise, **** and wind . When I was in high school , kids were planting trees around Lake Albacatya and in towns , and until the 1990's kids were planting roads sides building wildlife corridors to allow birds to move and sustain isolated habitat and diversity. Trees were sourced from what was the forrest and lands department nursery near Apex park on the river at Mildura now owned by Christie Centre.. Country schools who have better things to do than whine are busy propagating seeds in Green house now for planting now to grow trees for cookatoo habitat I know I was on the committee that got a grant, and went to working bees to build the green house and put in the automatic high tech climaste control and watering system. We also went and caught wild goats and pigs on holidays and sundays. Sold the goats for $5. We would go spotlighting and catch rabbits by hitting them with poly pipe. The funny thing is these wildlife corridors are half build and this current concerned generation isn't concerned about completing them to busy on social media saying something should be done somebody else do something

Propagate and Angel like this.
  5. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Random, You do know that the print on the news papper is toxic that is why you cant wrap fish and chips in newspaper. You want to poison every body ! I could not be bothered responding to your lack of insight on the other issues.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

HI @random.
    I 100% agree with your second post this morning about sewerage and pipes . I'm old enough to have lived with outdoor dunnies in Ashgrove (posh area now) Brisbane in the 1960s. We lived in my Great Aunt's house that was built in the 1920s. We had a water tank and chickens and a vegie garden too. But Progress said we had to lose all that and go Modern. No one can blame Boomers, we were in school or at our first jobs but the Lord Mayor and his engineers were probably in their 40s and 50s at the time and they are dead now. At the same time our electric trams were removed and Brisbane got buses.

But your first post is absurd. I thought about taking a photo last week on bin day to show the tiny amount of household waste laying sadly at the bottom of my wheelie bin. This week the bin has about 20 brown palm fronds stuffed in there that I can't burn. I could compost them but I wanted to stuff something into the bin to keep the rubbish company.

You are the adult in your home. Take a stand and teach yourself and your family about purchasing choices and you wont need to fill your bin with plastics and polystyrene and other waste.

I can start a separate thread for this new topic.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one - doesn't have to be a septic tank. We're rural and have a bio-cycle system where microbes munch away on the "waste" and literally clean water is sprayed out onto the garden with any leftover solids compacting to the bottom ... so it doesn't need emptying for many many decades. No smell, no overflow.

I would love to put a bio-cycle in our next resi project - going to apply but don't like my council chances.

Going back another generation - we simply used a toilet seat over a bucket and dad buried it in the vege garden at the end of the day.

Or even go to NZ for inspiration - they are pumping their recycled/clean sewer waste back onto stockfeed paddocks instead of "out to sea". Imagine out much these country towns are wasting by sending their sewer away - or we could even send it inland from the cities instead of out to sea

random likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think you would find this is prohibited by government red tape, being public land :(

I do find myself inspired by this story - and can't understand why some level of our government can't permit something like this or (shock horror) organise it. They are overshooting the target of over 4bil trees within 5 months

Ethiopia plants 350 million trees in 12 hours, breaking world record

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

This year the Qld Govt brought in "Cash for cans" and my local council brought in new recycling rules at the tips. I can choose to sort all my recyclables at home and take them to the various collection points when I travel to these places for other reasons.

Local dentists collect used toothpaste tubes and other small dental hygiene items that are too tiny to go into Council recycle bins. ยท TerraCycle.

Residents in my community now have an independent collection for tiny plastic bottle tops, lids and those plastic clips on bread that we are not supposed to put into the Recycle wheelie bin or leave on the bottles I recycle at a private collection location in a nearby suburb.
    https://7news.com.au/the-morning-sh...-create-prosthetics-for-kids-in-need-c-376164

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I grew up in Ashgrove too.
    My parents built their house in 1950 and sewerage was connected in 1951.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My parents didn't connect to sewerage until the early 60s. They bitched and complained about the cost.

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. random

random Well-Known Member

LibGS and Lizzie like this.
  13. random

random Well-Known Member

We all grew up on it didn't kill anyone, they did put a clear piece in between. Point mainly being though it doesn't need to be what it is now, such a waste.
    The fuss they make here is what's killing the place, all caught up on the bs and money, couldn't be bothered either . Most l go on about is done in other countries often for years one way or another . And here with real home builders l knew 30yrs ago, mud brick and such and living that way ever since without a problem. Even that so called earthship on the Living room , l mean they act as if it's something all new and mysterious but people have been building along similar principles 1000's of years.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2019
  14. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

global deviant...nice. wilful and calculated ignorance by a percentage of population who have vested interests in coal i.e. wage, investment or electoral success....all come down to money over the well being of the planet.

Propagate, Lizzie and random like this.
  15. random

random Well-Known Member

Nothing absurd about it people actually brought that up to me , even yesterday you should've seen the crap we through out. What's absurd about glass bottles reused over and over, or right about meets and most stuff actually coming all pretty in foam and plastic , not much. Walk through a supermarket you'd be blind to miss it and you should be complaining about it too even if whatever you buy doesn't come in that stuff. Even dopey ol 60mins did a segment on it , if they can pick it up anyone can. Current affair did some too.

16. random

random Well-Known Member

Did a lot of it too, but the problems here now sadly go far far far beyond all that. Without gov' on board and changing the mentality unfortunately it'll just keep going backward the way it has been since those times or even what's going on now. They're great , but unfortunately it's only a grain of sand in the big picture that's huge.
    Even Hawks 1 billion trees, don't even know if that ever actually got done but 1 billion, again is a grain of sand compare to what's been taken . But right now no new trees can stop the black cockatoo from becoming another one on our extinct list for example. Without gov stopping farmers and land clearing cutting down 200yr old gums they nest in , we lose them. And if you think that's ahh, lack of insight better take it up with doctor Harry.
    Even the man made corridors , same , unfortunately tiny in the big picture there should have been millions of acres left all over in patches miles wide .

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

For those that are still in denial about climate change being man-made ... this is an interesting article that is worth a read, and then google points of interest to self-educate:

Dave Lowe found measurable proof of climate change 50 years ago - he's watched in horror ever since

"That matters because CO2 has an insulating effect in the atmosphere. It traps heat, which is why it's called a greenhouse gas. More CO2 means more heat. Every year without fail, for the last 61 years, the number has continued to climb at an ever-increasing rate. ... Those natural fluctuations are often cited by climate deniers to suggest that climate change is not man-made. Naturally occurring carbon is made up of different isotopes. The most common types are called Carbon-12 and Carbon-13. Carbon-12 is by far the most common type found in nature. Carbon-13 makes up about 1 per cent of the total. But the exact amount can differ. There is slightly less Carbon-13 in fossil fuels like coal and oil compared to in atmospheric carbon. ... Lowe and other international researchers found that while total CO2 in the air was increasing, the percentage of Carbon-13 isotopes compared to Carbon-12 was decreasing. That proved that the additional CO2 in the atmosphere was coming from the burning of fossil fuels by humans, not anything else."