Climate change march

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 20th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

So true lizzie.
    l suppose it's a stupid place for me saying it in a property money forum but yeah all that stuff is what does it.

2. random

random Well-Known Member

l dunno about that one , l mean it all depends what you call wealth l suppose. Australias got a terrible reputation with most of those countries for it's expense , high cost of living, poor quality and choices in food and it's expense and in everything, being over over regulated and just over all being near the worst value for money of just about anywhere if tourists and a lot of migrants too are any judge, because that's the kind of stuff they say, l meet 100s of them from all over the world.
    So what's wealth that number means nothing here it doesn't buy jack.because it costs double and triple to live here than most of those anyway , that's why so many try to retire os.

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah l agree l mean we don't have to be at the forefront of anything, we're only a dot in that sense.
    But you know, still bloody bad if we do nothing and everyone else tries isn;'t it.
    But on the other hand , we could also be one of the greenest countries in the world , so how cool would that be, l mean l'd be proud as hell of that wouldn't you. Not to compete , just to look after our country. Plenty of sun, that's all you need atm.
    That's another reason apart from just the obvious , why our animal record is so important , if that's good we're looking after the place, but it's not we're a disgrace and it's tragic. lt's all connected .

Barneymaroon likes this.
  4. Barneymaroon

Barneymaroon Well-Known Member

Agree - the wealth may be tied up in our love affair with housing. The spending strike that's going at the moment indicates that wealth is not funding extravagant lifestyles. If you divided median wealth by median house price the numbers might be very different.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I believe a lot of our wealth comes from the compulsory superannuation - which is not the same as cash in the pocket or tied up in a house in which we're living.

Stoffo and Lizzie like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Off to another event today - due to State government built and approved port infrastructure - the beach has gone from image 1 ... to image 2 ... in less that a week. But the State government is trying to put the onus back on the local council, who cannot afford a fix.

What I really don't understand, this is a peninsula that protects Newcastle Port - biggest coal port in the world - yes I get the oxymoron bit regarding my above protest - and if the peninsula is breached then the port is screwed. Yet no one in authority is doing anything but ordering - yet again - another report that will say exactly the same thing the last 4 reports said,

A 1960's tip has been exposed and washed away - the childcare centre has closed and will be demolished as it's about to fall into the ocean - the council owned caravan park was evacuated as they've nearly lost several cabins into the ocean ... what has to happen before government goes "oops" ... letter from the Premier this week said a decision will be made by 2021 - ahem - might be nothing left to decide on by then

71233519_10158276464299453_1016928529184456704_n.jpg
    70335485_10158276335879453_1980836039287111680_o.jpg

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2019
    gman65 likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - it is Stockton - and yes - I am still determined to live there as it is an amazing community ... but look the narrowest point which is where the worst of the erosion has occurred (not the same place as above) ... the image is where hubby, as an engineer, has done some computer modelling to try and work out a fix ... then the video below the photo show erosion last week at that narrow point.

The council put down "emergency" sandbags ... but sheesh

image001.png

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Why not? We could easily be, yet lack leadership to make the foundation decisions required.

I watch NZ with envy as they stride forward - us Aussies are simply to lazy

gman65 likes this.
  9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I paid a visit to Stockton a couple of weeks and saw the devastation at Stockton beach and it was then I understood the might of the ocean ... :(

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled. This erosion is 100% caused by state government infrastructure and dregding approvals. Yes the ocean is taking the sand, but the direction and forced of the swell is caused by the above

Great turnout of several thousand

20190922_101228.jpg

11. random

random Well-Known Member

Well, l've just had enough of our ***** pollies bignoting themselves and kissing butt especially to the yanks.
    l think we'd be a much better country just doing our own thing, or if anything being more connected to the Uk and European side of things if anyone , l mean that's where we come from. And yeah actually l really admire NZ too , that's more about what l'm saying.Love their new pm too, now that's what we need , someone with a bit of soul and not afraid to be themselves and do things their way.

But in what way are you envying their striding forward , striding forward in what way ?

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2019
    wategos likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

83% renewable energy - 90% of public transport (including taxis) in major cities run on renewables - huge organic food industry that is considered "normal" - recycling of sewer waste into grass paddock irrigation water - massive sustainable forestry industry ...

13. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

Through education comes good decisions. Good decisions thinking about the community, well being of your family and others will lead to better population control. Less growth is more control. More control and certainty can lead to more action. More action should lead to a small impact.

I still believe the biggest issue we face is population growth. This dictates everything from construction, land use, vegetation loss, habitat loss, energy consumption, wealth, poverty etc

marty998 and Lizzie like this.
  14. random

random Well-Known Member

'
    Ahhh right , isn't that fantastic , and doable to if it isn't things just need to be done in a way that it can be, always thought they had soul over there. That'll be pushed even more with their new pm, should be us too but no way that's gonna happen anytime soon here with the idiots we're stuck with running the place .

Lizzie likes this.
  15. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

@Lizzie - you mention your partner works in the coal industry. How do your rationalise your participation in a protest when your household is directly funded by the industry you want to shut down? I am not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to understand.

Phar Lap, CowPat and JetstreamVic like this.
  16. random

random Well-Known Member

That wealth list is all smoke and mirrors as far as Australia goes, look at Italy down near the bottom yet they can manufacture some of the best stuff and best vehicles in the world, cheap as chips to live in, freshest food ever, on and on. Even a visa to live in an incredible country like that is how much, 50bucks. You know what an Australian visa is, 7k , or if you wanna move over here for family, sit down, 55k. Yep.
    Can't build anything here, cost of livings insane, public transports so expensive they just have to keep building more roads and freeways,can't even keep a pushbike trend going in Melbourne, costs em too much , so they say, probably charged God knows what to hire one though so no body did and it goes bust.Berlin everyone rides bikes round town, and in many other cities. So it's all in the fine print if you ask me . l think that wealth thing just derives from the outrageous price of our houses tbh, that doesn't mean average people actually own any of it though or aren't in hock up to their neck and don't have 2bucks left each week.

On the other hand , that renewable list is incredible , God didn't realize anyone was on 100% , l know it's doable or close for any country but **** eh , meanwhile blubber belly will just keep crapping on about jobs and growth.Spose it could've been worse, Abbot.

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Sep, 2019
    marty998 and Lizzie like this.
  17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I was going to try to find the link to the TV show that was shown to the Year 7s last week at my school about alternate energy production in poor countries, but suffice to say that graph above tells an even better story. I find it unconscionable that we in Oz are not legally allowed to run little solar networks in our local communities like the people in so many third world countries do.

We (my household) participate in a similar thing with a bank of solar panels we lease from Origin. They take any unused power we generate and it goes into the grid. We could run boat/caravan batteries if we really wanted to, but it is not economically viable - we buy back old fashioned energy for night time at a smidgen of the price the batteries would cost.

I believe the kids are doing a fantastic job. There are plenty of people my age and older who used to protest about lots of things when we were their age. It was normal to leave school at age 15 back then, so we were all grown up and working at that age, even if they are considered to be little children now :rolleyes:

I never noticed what the film was called, but it was produced earlier this year by Film Victoria. It interviewed some of the students from Victoria who led the protest on Friday, and also showed what is being done to operate totally renewable energy in very poor villages and communities around the world.

TSK and Lizzie like this.
  18. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've been reading some BS, CowPat.

The misinformation is the enemy.

marty998 and TSK like this.
  19. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

marty998, random, TSK and 2 others like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

TSK likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia