Climate change march

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 20th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Great argument against global warming action there!
    But to answer your question, an average mobile phone might have a 3.5Ah battery. At 3.7V (lithium ion), that makes for a capacity of 13 Wh (was much energy as running a hair dryer for 20 seconds). All of which can be sourced from renewables, if you choose to do so.

I think next time you should use the following argument, as it's even better: "They pretend to care about climate change, yet exhale CO2!"

Perp, LibGS, Niche and 2 others like this.
  2. Barneymaroon

Barneymaroon Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Niche likes this.
  3. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

It was late at night and low hanging fruit.

A much better argument would be that if we emitted absolutely nothing, (we being Australia), we would make exactly zero difference to the world emissions.

ESP compared with China, India, America etc.

These targets are expensive, and if we try and be the climate warriors ourselves. There will be no jobs in the future.

4. Shaneo78

Shaneo78 Well-Known Member

That is a unfair comparison. China and India have a substantially higher population. Of coarse their impact is greater. However our emissions per person is far greater than both those countries.

It's not just about Australia cutting down emissions. Every country needs to do. These protests have been happening around the world. If everyone thought like you, noone would do anything, which would make zero difference. If everyone around the world chips in then maybe we can make a difference.

I get annoyed when someone says they have a phone or a car so they mustn't care about climate change. There is technology and industries that can help us transition to a more sustainable way of life - which includes everything we have today. We just need government support and investment to get us there quicker.

Joynz, Perp, LibGS and 7 others like this.
  5. JetstreamVic

@Shaneo78 you have proved my point tho.

At the end of the day, emissions per person is a wasted metric in this.

The total emissions is the one that counts.

As you have said, the world needs to be in step with this. To that end, I agree with you.

However the likelihood is that it won’t, but our climate warriors want Australia to take the lead, which will result in complete lack of jobs, increased living costs etc, cos other power houses refuse to come to the party

6. spludgey

Each and every single person is responsible for global warming, so look at a per capita basis.
    I'm guessing you only donkey vote, as you vote will never be the deciding factor?

Perp, LibGS and wylie like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I work on the theory that ... if changes are made for the better - and we're wrong - then we live in a cleaner world ...if no changes are made - and we're wrong - humanity is toast and will take down many many other species with us.

So why not make changes for the better? The planet will recover either way

Perp, TSK, Niche and 3 others like this.
  8. JetstreamVic

@spludgey stupid analogy. But I don’t donkey vote, by your same logic - I don’t vote in Australia and expect it to have a bearing on what goes on in China.

Also, with regards to your per capita argument. I would be the kinda guy in business that would prefer to sell millions of things with a $10 profit, rather than one thing with a $100 profit.

Per capita means sweet fa.

But to explain it you a bit more. If we drop our emissions by half per capita - you would be wrapt?

But in the meantime we have tripled our population. So the total has gone up, hows your logic?

Why don’t your argue for limits on the amount of children you can have?

Handyandy likes this.
  9. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Hey Kids .........wanna go hangout in the city for the day or sit in the classroom and do algebra ?

get the media to spin they are all hero's for sacrificing a day off school
    indoctrinate the next generation to keep the myth going

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I feel deniers would argue until they were blue in the face - from lack of oxygen in the atmosphere - than admit climate change was real

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
    LibGS and TSK like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

So your answer is to do nothing?

Not sure where you get the "lack of jobs, increased living costs etc" from ... only have to look at the transitions been made already, but those who care, to see that this is a fallacy spread by those who fear the future.

Perp likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

In a roundabout way, I agree with you 100% on this.

The single biggest factor that can play a part in reducing the pollution we are forcing on our planet is to reduce the population. Even young Attenborough agrees with you on this one

There are two very simple, and inexpensive, things that can be done to achieve this. Ensure unhindered access for girls to:

1. Education to high school graduation level
    2. Self controlling birth control

These two factors are why the natural populations of most first world countries are dropping - and have been factually proven to work

Data Highlights - 13: Education Leads to Lower Fertility and Increased Prosperity | EPI

Joynz, Perp and wylie like this.
  13. Barneymaroon

It's not that hard ;-)

Shaneo78 and JetstreamVic like this.
  14. JetstreamVic

@Lizzie my answer isn’t to do nothing. You pointed out on of the things I think would be easy to implement. Make a difference and not cost a cent.

As for increased costs, I mean that we no longer build coal fired power. Victoria will run out of power this summer. Our power costs have gone thru the roof.

This is for me, just a person - imagine for business? And where do those costs get passed onto?

I just think it naive to think that Australia should be th forefront. We will cut our nose off in spite of our face

MTR likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Perhaps Victoria needs to properly connect itself to a national grid - we've got plenty in NSW.

Admittedly the government needs to get it's act together and upgrade the grid to cope with the influx of renewable energy that is already happening - and storage situations such as hydro pumping. Technology advancements worldwide are enormous - but largely ignored in Australia - so we will quickly find ourselves left behind ... which is that old "leadership required" chestnut, as yesterday march was demanding, and won't go away

6 Promising Energy Storage Options to Tie into the Grid

16. spludgey

I agree, we've got far more renewables than most countries already!

upload_2019-9-21_14-7-34.png
    upload_2019-9-21_14-8-25.png
    upload_2019-9-21_14-9-24.png

Joynz, Perp, Niche and 2 others like this.
  17. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah , exactly what l think.
    Even if there wasn't climate change , what we've done to the planet , in just a century or two , says it all . Everything we do and live is just all wrong , especially in Australia , our animal extinction rate tells that story loud and clear.
    Look at countries like say the US , although l really hate any kind of Aussie comparison to the US buttttt, , they've lost one animal , in what 5 or 600yrs, we lost 100s and that's still climbing fast. Yet look at our population and time here compared.
    Yet all we get is old blubber guts up there waffling on about money and trying to be a so called, cough, world leader.
    Sad thing is we have no real leaders in this country , l mean the animal thing is even more dire than climate change for us here.

So yeah , compare to others we emit eff all, but so what . For our population and size of the country we're still a disgrace.

18. random

random Well-Known Member

ps , far as l see no ones roping the kids into doing anything. l know my daughters very concerned about the climate and a lot of kids at her school are. The teachers have hardly even mentioned it in classes but they have supported them.

Perp, Propagate, wategos and 3 others like this.
  19. Barneymaroon

In addition to punching above our weight on renewables, we are one of the poorer OECD countries and can't really afford to worry about so-called "first world" problems.

upload_2019-9-21_15-12-41.png

Joynz, Perp, spludgey and 2 others like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

"Yet all we get is old blubber guts up there waffling on about money and trying to be a so called, cough, world leader."

This is a part that makes me so angry when the government is rambling on trying to justify doing nothing or, at least, very little other than deflecting with smoke and mirrors... asides from there being no jobs on a dead planet (which I agree is rather melodramatic) .... think about this ...

We can survive indefinitely without rampant consumerism, capitalism and economic growth ... but ... can survive 1 month without food, 1 week without clean water, 4 minutes without breathable air ... which is really more important?

Perp, marty998, Angel and 3 others like this.