Climate Change, a threat to property values

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by larrylarry, 16th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Maybe I should buy something in blue mountains.

2. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

@Beelzebub I think the most realistic problem/risk out of climate change, war, and economic weakness, is economic weakness at a global level and scale significant enough to cause multiple recessions in several countires at the same time. I think there is substantial (say a 20-30% chance in the next 5 years) risk of this, occurring. Im not saying itll be a long terk DE-pression, but multiple and concurrent RE-cessions is something the world could face which I believe would have local and global consequence.

So, you ask, what would be catalyst or cause? will it be trumps strict trade policies? or a general global increased instance of countries going 'protectionist' and closing their trade agreements (and possibly borders), or will conflicts over land/food/resources such as the Spratly islands conflict and others currently kicking off, cause economic strain?

Im no economist or futurist so I dont have the answers but if I were to speculate, I'd argue that of everything, trade wars would be the most plausible issue.

If Germany dump Merkel and replace her with a May/Trump-esque leader who instills similar protectionist, EU-exiting, and border-tightening policies, that would be another catalyst for restricted trading and encourage more private marketplaces. I think how any of this western-countrt decisioning then affects China, will be the big one. If China gets locked out of more trade, thatll effect the entire worlds' economy. Especially us here who relies on China so much.

China could one day give us an ultimatum: favor us in business, not the US, or else we will remove all trade to Australia and you will be screwed.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I believe the biggest threat to property values is our own lack of thorough due diligence when strategizing and purchasing deals.

hammer, Eric Wu and Beano like this.
  4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I factor it in when buying. I figure that I'll be holding it for 20 or 30 years I may as well buy something a bit higher up.....Just in case?

We just had a while bunch of places get "reclassed" as Storm surge up here recently. Premiums went from 2kpa to 10kpa.....

I've got mates who bought in this area because the house was high set and cheap (Wonder why?). They don't realise that a storm surge doesn't just gently lap apon the shore like some romantic novel...

5. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

Yes I consider it.

I remember reading that Adelaide would be the first of our capital cities to go under