Cleanup after derelict tenants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by 65fbk, 5th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 65fbk

65fbk Member

Hi All,

I haven't post on a property forum much since the Somersoft days.

I have a house IP in Western Sydney.
    I've just been through the routine of 3 months without rent, tribunals and a sheriff assisted eviction.
    The tenants have left a lot of crap/furniture behind and the house stinks apparently.
    It's going to cost a lot to clean it up.

I believe his could have been better managed by the agent before it got this bad.
    Is there any legal action that can be taken, or do they all hide behind a 'all care and no responsibility' curtain?

Thanks.

2. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your hassle.

Did the property managers do everything they said they would in the management agreement? If not, you may have a case against them.

Hopefully your landlords insurance can sort out most of the financial loss.

3. pully

pully Well-Known Member

sorry to hear. 3 months, how many tribunal hearings were involved? how long was the tenancy before they stopped paying rent?
    hopefully with bond recovery and insurance the mess can be sorted and you can move on with other property managers.
    or will you sell?
    action against the property managers? cannot advise but you could seek legal advice to clarify grounds, costs and likely outcome.
    good luck.

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Sometimes it's very difficult to tell the difference between an agent doing their job, but doing a terrible job of communicating that with you.... and an agent not doing their job.

Your legal recourse would likely be a negligence claim, but you need very solid evidence that correlates the agents failure to carry out their duty having a direct financial impact on you. It sounds like in this case you've got a strong feeling that the situation was mismanaged, but you haven't got any specific details of what was done incorrectly?

skyfury likes this.