Cleaning quote over $2600

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by trungvn, 14th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. trungvn

trungvn Active Member

My first interstate IP in Moreton Bay settled yesterday and unfortunately it was left in a terrible condition (previous owner did not attempt any cleaning and left rubbish at the place; dog faeces on the carpet, etc -- story for another day).

My PM recommended a thorough cleaning (in addition to replacing and removing some carpets which is a separate job). The cleaning quote came back to be $2600 (+ $200 for 2 security screen high pressure hose) for a 4 bed, 1 bath room. This is for 2x cleaners for 16 hours.

For completeness of information, below is the job description:
    - Windows, tracks and frames interior and exterior
    - Kitchen
    - Bathroom
    - All cabinetry
    - Ceiling fans and air con filters
    - Light fittings
    - Floors vac and mopped and additional scrubbing
    - All corniness, ceiling and skirts debris removal
    *ADDITIONAL CLEANING REQUIRED
    Full walls brushed , washed and further spot cleaning.

I am astonished by this figure as based on my research, which included reading posts on PC, $800 is already considered a high price. Also posted the job on hipages and got quotes of around $550 (2ppl x 8 hours) after sending them photos. I'm at lost to find reasons why is there such a huge difference in the quotes? The job I posted on hipages is for a Rental bond cleaning with this instruction: "Clean all areas of the house (living room, bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen, living room, walls, outdoor area -- pergola and garden, windows). Tiles should be scrubbed.". This is not as detailed as the above description but I don't think it should account for such price difference.

If you have similar jobs done in the Moreton Bay area, how much did it cost? Appreciate if PC members can recommend me good and more affordable cleaners. Thanks.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd be getting more quotes. And before paying I'd be requesting photos of the clean up. That would be a stipulation. Too easy to get ripped off otherwise.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that it was left in such a state. Who did the initial and pre-handover inspection? Was it in this condition when it was initially inspected?

datto likes this.
  4. Matt E

Matt E Active Member

I highly recommend Chris at Queensland Domestic Services (07 3408 3154‬) for my bond cleans. Very professional from start to finish, I would trust her with this type of job.

trungvn likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

was it the scene of a murder?

Gladys, jim1964 and datto like this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Ice lab?

A lot of them on the North side :D

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

At $81 a hour per person thats not a great price. What costs do you think may be incurred for a skip and cleaning materials ?

They arent repainting are they ? :eek:

Builders usually have a extensive clean when they ready for handover. Costs nothing like that but of course it doesnt include extensive damage like poop, liquids, stains etc. Its more extreme dirt, cleaning windows, floors etc. Is it an event for a LL insurance claim ?

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No, but the quote is killing the OP.

Rich2011, Terry_w and mikey7 like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Trungvn, It takes balls to post this in a site where one only reads the other side and welcome to the real world..

Just a simple question ,did you have a insurance cover the minute after the ink on the contract was drying,, if you did have you rung the insurance and work you way up the chain till you talk to someone within their legal section you may be covered for this type of problem..imho..

10. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

On face value this sounds very high to me, but, giving a description on a website and getting a quote back vs. someone actually going to the property and viewing the state it's in and giving a quote are two different things.

The online quotes will assume it's dirty, but not exceptionally dirty. Unless we could see some photos and get a better description of the actual state of the property then it's hard to give value based judgments. It could just be in a really, really bad state and the person who went there knows exactly what is required to get it to spec.

Based on the description you've given here it might actually require this level of attention. Based on what you wrote on the HiPages ad, it doesn't appear as bad as you're describing to us which would explain the difference.

- Andrew

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

this is what Id do,
    get a few more quotes,
    plus on top of that, put it on airtasker,
    work on $30 per hour (for example)
    im not a cleaning professional, but unforunately have done about 534,558, cleaning quotes due to being a slumlord,
    normal bond clean for a not so bad 3bdr, 5-6 hours, yours is a 4 bdr, make it 7-8 hours,
    double it to 14-16 hours, add 5 hours to scrub the walls, is 20 hours,

20 hours x $30=$600, add $100 for the sake of it, $100 for airtasker fee

$800 put it up, describe the extent of the job properly,
    and see how you go, i reckon you'll get a few bites, but you will need to someone to double check their work once its done, because many just accept the job ,and either dont do it properly or understimate it
    so you save money, but it requires more work from you

good luck!

trungvn, HUGH72 and Terry_w like this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Insurance won’t cover this. The property was in this condition at settlement when the OP became the owner.

Was a pre-settlement inspection done?
    Marg

Sackie likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Simple enough I guess..Lets just say one takes out a cover note from the time the contract is signed by both parties then what is covered..Most people I know just turn up on the morning of settlement have a quick look then contact the Solicitors for a early afternoon settlement..If someone did this on the day,and depending on the snort and paw the ground to look fierce by the Solicitors then the settlement would be delayed or a monetary payment is made designed to make amends for the loss..

14. trungvn

trungvn Active Member

Thanks all for your comments / suggestions.

I gave the cleaning company a call this morning to ask why they gave such a high quote. Explained that it was *worst case scenario* that could take them 2 days and a team of 2 - 3 people, but realistically they think it can be done in 1 day. Is this *just in case* quote practice normal?? Upon hearing that I had obtained quote at $550 from elsewhere, she immediately dropped the price to $1250 (one day of work). I decided to go with the $550 quote in the end.

Insurance: I think they will only accept a claim that falls under one of the insured events. Most relevant events for this I can think of is Malicious damage (but they're not even tenant). Nevertheless my excess is $2000 so I gave up on the idea.

My solicitor emailed the seller's solicitor on the ground that we were not accommodated enough opportunities to do the pre-settlement inspection. This is because I asked my PM to do the inspection for me but she could not find a time with the selling agent, or when they agreed a time they asked to move before the inspection day or did not respond to PM's message. But got instant response from seller's solicitor saying it's not in the contract. Since it already settled, we're in a weaker position so would be very costly to claim anything from seller legally.

15. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Sounds like they knew you were interstate and an investor so gave you a premium. Unfortunately it seems to be common. Well done on contacting them and getting a reduction. Then going for someone else.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  16. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

That cleaning quote is obscene, regardless of how dirty the house is, and as has been mentioned $81hr for cleaning is ridiculous. I'd also be very upset with the Property Manager for even passing on a quote like that.

Any other cleaner could turn the grimiest 4-Bed 1-Bath dump into a sparkling palace for $800 or less based on that job description.

wylie likes this.
  17. jim1964

jim1964 1941

@trungvn they are taking you for a ride on this.The interstate investor tax.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Yeah, i agree, $800 tops.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Are you getting a new carpet? If so, do not pay anyone to clean the existing carpet. Is this too late?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia