VIC CLAYTON the best middle ring suburb in melbourne.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by google boy, 15th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. google boy

google boy Well-Known Member

That's what chinese thinks. Monash hospital, children hospital, monash uni, chadstone shopping centre, princess freeway, monash freeway, brighton beach 10 min drive. 2 train line Cranbourne, Pakenham. Skyrailway line being built at the moment. 20 min to reach to city.

Twonhouse are selling over 960k and land are selling over 1.5 million. Recently there was 4 million record sale in dunstan street, clayton. I attended the auction 55 view street, clayton. Rubbish house with 590m2 sold over 1.15 million but very good strret. Especially street close to Oakleigh south is very nice compared to clayton south.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

this one i agree with you @google boy - i live in clayton off bayview ave for many years (also went to monash uni in clayton and caulfield. Back then that clayton rd did not have many asian shops - now it is downtown beijing with bubble tea and the super big chinese supermarket. Also proximity to glen waverley. My friend sold his corner block site 600sqm off dandenong road only for 550K 5 years ago. when now it is worth 1.5 mil.

3. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Peak of the market, i think.
    All end users moving on to outer ring suburbs.
    Values in middle ring seem unbelievable.

1 year more may be and then it would follow Sydney. Even though, Melbourne still has a lot of land.
    Why would tou target suburb which is targeted by developers? Do you want to develop?

Regards

4. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Half hour to the city...south eastern traffic...tolls...what on earth is the appeal? Monash Uni is pretty good I guess, but do you really need to live right on its doorstep?

You want an Asian area? Why not buy for a third of the price in St Albans? Or for half the price in Sunshine?

Dave3214 and willfong like this.
  5. google boy

Invest where rich chinese people live. Doncaster, boxhill, mount waverly, clayton, glen waverly, Balwyn are main of hub of chinese . 2 bed room unit even gets sold over 700k. I am talking about clayton which has got all the facilities which rarely other suburb middle ring suburb have. U don't have to catch tollway to reach city. u can go through princess highway.

6. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Do you own property there?

willfong and samiam like this.
  7. google boy

8. willister

willister Well-Known Member

That explains it LOL.

9. willister

willister Well-Known Member

What is so special about View Street?

10. Investaa

Investaa Well-Known Member

Based on what facts you claim that Clayton is the best middle ring suburb?
    It's funny that you listed Clayton next to Doncaster Boxhill and Balwyn these suburbs are 1000 times better than Clayton. Chinese who are unable to afford in other suburbs that you listed are going to Clayton. Thats a big difference.

I used to live in Caulfield next to princess highway and I was unable to get to city in 20 minutes how come you get to city from Clayton in 20 minutes?
    Train will get you to city fron Clayton in 35 minutes not 20 minutes. Clayton is more comparable to Springvale rather than Boxhill or Doncaster.

Pixie and willfong like this.
  11. google boy

@invest, i think u dont catch a train to city. there is always express line runnig from caulfield to south yarra. Pls check the median price of doncaster and clayton there is not much diiference. I am just talking about the infrastructure that clayton has got compared to other middle ring suburb. I

12. willfong

willfong Active Member

Mate I know you own in Clayton and are very passionate about it.

I have nothing against Clayton and it has a lot of things going for it (Monash Uni, Hospital, Train Station, Cheap Asian Restaurants and shops, developer friendly council) hence the expensive price. On the flip side, it's relatively far from the CBD, part of it looks quite run down/industrial, and public school is quite poor (most of it zoned to Westall Secondary, my niece had to move from there into a private school after less than a year in it). The 2016 median VCE score for Westall Secondary is 26, even Sunshine College in the wild wild west scored 28, higher than Westall.

VCE School Ranking - 2016

The quickest peak hour train to CBD is 31 minutes (I put Melbourne Central as destination, Flinders st takes a few minutes longer, try Home - Public Transport Victoria yourself). I have personally caught this train many times when I stayed with my parents. On the other thread you also mention 10 minutes drive to Brighton Beach, both of them are untrue.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2017
  13. Pixie

Pixie Active Member

I used to study in monash. I've driven to Brighton beach straight after class, don't recall the drive was 10min, for sure.

14. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

Median prices;
    Clayton - $1.275
    Doncaster - $1.5
    Box hill - $1.785
    Balwyn - $2.25

Clayton isn't comparable.... Yes it's done very well because of a uni but ultimately it's very industrial and feels like a Springvale, not a leafy eastern suburb. And no, the wealthy Chinese don't flock there.

My middle class Chinese wife turns her nose up at it, why would the wealthy go there? :)

willfong and Investaa like this.
  15. melbournian

I
    Yup very true more like 10 min to chadstone subject to if u are stuck at train level crossing on Clayton :)

Pixie likes this.
  16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Good name for a Bogan, Clayton.

17. melbournian

Nah I dun think Clayton is like Springvale I have either owned or lived in Doncaster, box hill, balwyn and Clayton - I think it is more box hill like station street and Clayton rd now. Many years ago probably not.

Actually lots of rich Chinese do buy there whether they live there is a different story. It is also close to mt Waverley and glen waverley And it also has quite high prices even rivalling Doncaster. My friend bought something for 4 mil and sold it for 9 mil in a space of 5 years

18. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Looks like my next trip to Melbourne, I really need to go to Clayton to have a look, what the fuss is about. Is it that many Chinese living there?

Would Preston/Reservoir counts as middle ring as well in this case?

19. melbournian

There are a lot of Chinese shops there bubble tea, hot pot and the grocery Chinese store is among the biggest in melbourne I have seen. It has been there for ages but must have had renovations and extensions like meat store etc I studied in Monash Clayton live there and worked ard there for a number of years so I know this pocket and it has changed a lot since I was there . Even suburbs like Carnegie has lots of Chinese which wasn't the case back then.

But yeah Clayton is not Balwyn for sure it started out industrial and a lot has to do with Monash uni. I used to go auctions looking to buy there but it became too expensive back in 2014 already

Preston reservoir is much nearer compared to Clayton though without the freeway m1 access.

20. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

If that is the case, wouldn't Preston/Reservoir be even higher potential than Clayton? I mean it looks like Clayton is not cheap anyway, further away from Melbourne CBD, and also already have tons of Chinese living there jacking up the prices. Preston is still gentrifying (and the price are cheaper) but I think has some kind of critical mass of Chinese shops.

But next time I come down I definitely drive around Clayton and check it out.