Classic cars

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by ellejay, 6th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

So I've always loved those big, square, gas guzzling American classic cars. Thought about them but now seeing more reasons to buy one..I'd love to do the Queensland Variety bash and just cruise around regional to remote Aus. Looks like alot of fun to be had. I don' t want to spend more than say $25-30k. I wouldn't be buying it as an investment but is there an investment upside to something like a beautiful black T/bird or Chevy truck?

Last edited: 6th Dec, 2017
    Toon likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The main investment is blood, sweat & tears. All too many (unpaid) hours go into a good resto.

I thought only boys went through a middle age crisis. ;)

ellejay likes this.
  3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

There can be an investment upside particularly for sought after models & original examples. When our dollar much higher 5-7 yrs ago, there was a comparative flood of imports from the US so the domestic market has far more stock available.

I own a ‘69 Chev, in original trim, but I wouldn’t call it an investment. I might recoup my purchase cost if I ever sold, but doubt I’d ever make money from the transaction. It just isn’t really part of the reasoning to buy one in the first place.

25-30k will buy many very good vehicles but it won’t get you into many “investment grade” type of models.

josh123 and ellejay like this.
  4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Do you take it to many events? I' d love to see a photo if you're happy to share :).

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that I'd bred a hoon. Last Saturday morning, mum's neighbour was swapping cars around in his driveway - 2 fully restored classics simply gurgling away: GTR XU1 and a GTHO Falcon. My daughter's eyes were nearly popping out of her head.

What was mum's neighbour thinking? A foot in opposing camps...

willair and ellejay like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

i have a mate that has the holden xui, fully worked -balanced yellow terror heads- triple fast drop su's with less the 30,000 miles on the clock one of the few cars that will like GTHO throw you back into the seat and hold you there ,the only other cars that can do that these days are some of supercharged AMG merc's from 2004 onwards,maybe even a better long term investment then "CBA"..IMHO..

• [​IMG]

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

no upside in investing in a car until it becomes an "investment asset". apart from aircooled Porsche or some very limited make of certain cars.. no other cars are investment grade..

8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

The 'upside' of owning a classic is you get to drive it and enjoy it! I don't like when people invest in cars to just make some future profit. IMO cars, especially classics, are meant to be driven and enjoyed by the owner and other car lovers not locked in a shed until they become an investment grade asset.

Silverson and ellejay like this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Drive it like you stole it :)

I have a '62 VW Karmann Ghia. And it's so much fun to drive. It might go up in value as it becomes rarer but I own it because I love the body shape and it's fun to drive.

Thankfully it's only little so doesn't guzzle juice like muscle cars.

Toon, Lindsay_W and charttv like this.
  10. Lindsay_W

I love the shape of the Karmann Ghia's too, Italian styling and German engineering is a great combination!

Westminster likes this.
  11. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i meant of $$/investing

of course vintage cars > new cars.

anyone with money can go buy the latest and greatest. but only so many classic cars. and some of them is properly rare.
    problem with some vintage cars is that its worth so much, even insurance wont insure it or the insurance to put in on the road is not worth driving it.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  12. Lindsay_W

Yes very true for the rarest top end cars, which is a real shame because it means the whole experience of what it's like to drive those cars is lost.

13. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

IMG_2924.JPG We have a 1958 austin Healey bug eyed sprite. We bought it 10 years ago - our 3rd - because we (ok I) just love the shape, and the driving experience. Bought for $5000, now valued at approx $26,000. we have fully restored it and luckily my husband can do the work himself. It was never bought for an investment, but more because I love their smiling faces - picture attached a a recent display day - ours is primrose yellow.

Chris Au, Gockie, ellejay and 3 others like this.
  14. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm looking closely into these andcagree with you about the price
    I will probably go a Healey sprit (non bug eye :() but am looking at an mgb - more parts available. Decisions decisions.