Cars & Motorbikes Classic car values and the property market.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 22nd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

Not a lot for that kind of money anymore!

5k - NA8 MX5
    10k - Z33 350Z
    20k - 986 Boxster S

Lindsay_W and Serveman like this.
  2. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

You might not agree but I've always seen the Z4 M Coupe as the modern day 240Z - proportions, straight six, keeps looking better with age...
    [​IMG]

3. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Generally there is a bump in prices as cars reach 28-30 years old.
    We are seeing MX-5 and R32s, VN Commodore V8s etc ATM

charttv, Lindsay_W and Serveman like this.
  4. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

No there isn't much these days, maybe some minor classics or special interest cars. For the various price ranges I'll try these:
    5k: VN - VS Commodores/Calais, EA - EL Falcon Fairlane ( can't believe I'm saying this but they are rising which is nuts)
    Holden Calibra, Honda Prelude, Ford Probe, Mitsubishi fto
    Rover SD1
    Hyundai Tiberon
    10k - You can still get a Datsun 280zx or a MK3 supra na
    Nissan 300zx z31 and some z32,s
    VB Commodore
    Lexus Soarer
    NA Mitsubishi GTO
    Subaru SVX
    Citroen CX
    Rx8
    350z v35 coupe and some versions of r31, r33, r34 coupes
    Crossfire
    10 - 20k
    Mk4 supra na
    3000gt TT
    924 & 944
    CM Valiant
    S4 RX7
    I'm sure there's more but need to sit down and research. Some of these cars may not appreciate, but who would have thought that a $2000 VN is now up around $5500.

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yeah you're not wrong, I like them too but it's a BMW - I was keeping it in the Nissan/Datsun family with my comment re: 370Z :)
    The Z4 M coupes are getting expensive

Serveman likes this.
  6. Lindsay_W

All of these should be removed from your list in my opinion yuk

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2018
    goodtimes likes this.
  7. Serveman

They probably should too, but things can change. Remember how much the 280zx was slammed along with the z31 and now these cars are on the upswing.

charttv likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Fickle market. One sold in June for over a million.....gulp...25% drop in 5 months.

9. Lindsay_W

Yes I think that's probably in part due to the fact you can no longer get a good 240Z or 260Z reasonably cheap anymore, so they're next in line. Rear wheel drive, turbo motors (on some), they have some appealing features unlike those I mentioned in my previous post.

Yikes that is quite a drop! I would think there would only be a few buyers in the market for them?

Serveman and datto like this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

For sure. I'd say the buyers would be comprised of cashed up Aussie baby boomers with super secure garages and heaps of Bathurst 500 Allan Moffat posters plastered on the walls.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  11. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Every day an old ford/holden lover dies and is replaced by a future Classic Tesla lover. People dream of the car they couldnt afford in their youth.
    This is the reason that Vintage cars are cheap and out of favour but 50s to 80s are in favour.
    In the future the cars of our youth will be seen as dangerous poor performing vehicles with no redeemable qualities but a style that has gone out of fashion.
    And as a proud owner of a few poor performing gas guzzlers that can be whipped by a $30,000 Hyundai Hot Hatch, Im sad that cars have become faceless and so generic.
    Long Live the 1950 Buick Sedanette, surely the most outrageous mass produced vehicle ever built. A style that should live forever.

wilso8948, Serveman, charttv and 2 others like this.
  12. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

And yet this appears to be somewhat different to the current Veteran/Vintage motorcycle market. Obviously the Japanese Invasion bikes are popular at the moment due to the younger demographic; but there have been some record breaking sales in bikes from the late 1920's to 1950's lately - and the general market from this era seems to be going up and up.

We saw a guy from WA spend almost $1.2M on an ex-race Vincent earlier this year - and anything Australian built seems to be snapped up pretty quickly.

Maybe there are lots of retirees looking for something shiny to put in their lounge room/man cave- or this same demographic haven't got enough space in their downsized dwelling to store a classic car, so an old bike is the answer? Or maybe lots of our bikes are heading back overseas? I don't know... but the market is moving upwards. Look what your average late 1940's D1 Bantam goes for these days as a prime example. It'll make your eyes water!

13. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

'32 gtr prices are starting to become staggering, hopefully a sign of things to come. I'll hang onto my unmolested R33 for a little while longer :).

Serveman likes this.
  14. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

When the r35 GTR was released always thought the value of the r32 would stagger/go down but damn was i wrong (from memory price range was around 10-20k)

On another note are we ok with putting up links on cars for sale that are interesting (not putting up anything im trying to sell and obviously nothing im trying to buy) haha

Serveman likes this.
  15. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Oh damn! My dad bought my Uncle's old one for us kids. And my brother crashed it. Taken for scrap!

Serveman likes this.
  16. WellKnow

WellKnow Well-Known Member

5k - late 90's WRX or R32 skyline GTT maybe; but not sure if the price would appreciate to the rate R32 GTR will appreciate
    10k - 350Z
    20k - S2000

sorry I am a jap car guy, there might be a few holdens/fords too

LIDM and Serveman like this.
  17. Serveman

Yes, I had a really immaculate VB in Atlantis Blue which I sold for 2k about 4 years ago. Now in 2018 they are asking over 10 k.
    The reality is the the VB 6 cylinder was quite slow ( 0 - 100 in over 16 second) and when you went up a hill you had to turn off the air conditioner. They do suffer from fume problems these days and tempremental carbs. On the plus side the steering feel of the non assisted steering is good and handling is fun.

Danyool likes this.
  18. josh123

josh123 Well-Known Member

Iv been on the hunt for a 1965-68 mustang fastback for a while now. And ever since the US dollar started sliding the prices keep rising. I wish I hadn't sold my 65 fastback from 7yrs ago :(.

I'm hoping Sydney's decline in house prices has an effect on the muscle car market. But I doubt it will

Serveman likes this.
  19. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

KE model rear wheel drive Corollas! The amount of 40 somethings that pull me up to tell me how they had one as their first car (or burnout car for that matter) is staggering. Wait for these guys to have plenty of disposable income.

Lindsay_W, Serveman and Danyool like this.
  20. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Yeah, was thinking about trying to import one when AUD/USD was on par, but decided it was a bit tricky. Could have picked up one already landed for around A$20,000 (IIRC) - now double.

You into Camaro's? They're bringing the new model into Australia now. (And I know thats a totally different proposition to a claasic, but found it interesting)

Serveman likes this.