Cars & Motorbikes Classic car values and the property market.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 22nd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Well in the last 5 years I have seen the value of 1970's right through to 1990's sports cars and sedans rise in value to the point where they are quite expensive.
    Now with the Sydney and Melbourne property markets declining could it trigger a correction in car prices as well?

2. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

Personally I think it would depend on the car. As the owner of a 1958 Bugeye Austin Healey sprite, cars such as this continue to increase in value because of their rarity. Similarly, the Datsun 240z/260z etc also represent a good investment because of this reason. Try to find an all original one for under $15,000, with restored ones in the $30k range. My husband bought his last one in 1983 for $500. Did I mention the price of a Monaro? As with property, the right car bought at the right price would bring great long term returns, and for specific vehicles they continue to hold their value and increase.

Toon, Lindsay_W and Serveman like this.
  3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

GFC knocked the value out of classics in the past world wide. Syd/melb property price drops probably not, unless the markets seriously tank and Australia’s economy goes with it.
    Also depends what car if the economy suffers. Aussie cars would tank in Australia as its mostly Australians buying, euro and jap cars have a huge following world wide, and I doubt they will be affected by Australia’s economy.
    Would be nice to buy some jap classics at reasonable prices :)

Lindsay_W, SLP07 and Serveman like this.
  4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Apparently prices have been declining since peaking in 2015 ( Graph below is from a US based classic car insurance company) - not sure how this relates to classic cars in Australia but it was an interesting read - Asset Class of Vintage Cars Drops More than during 2008/2009
    [​IMG]

New Town and Serveman like this.
  5. goodtimes

goodtimes Well-Known Member

There's always two markets relevant to us running with classics, Australia and the rest of the world. It's handy to have cars that can be sold abroad when the local market is soft or the dollar conversion can be manipulated.
    I do feel it's definitely a bit bubbly at the moment and have noticed a decline over the course of the year in Australia. This is for aussie classics, 20's 30's hotrods, 70's jap and Classic porsches (the cars I own or am interested in).
    I think you could even say hk/t/g/q monaros, split window buses, oval beetles, 240z's etc have come back 20%.
    Though it can be hard to judge at times with very desirables cars setting records that people think is the new standard, then a flood of sub par examples to the market that don't sell, then a buyers market is created etc etc.
    Not dissimilar to property.

Serveman and Toon like this.
  6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

I too have noticed how crazy some prices are
    I dont think house prices would have a major impact on classics
    My theory is cashed up bogans with money from the mines (even if there is a downtown there). 70/80s holdens and fords seems to be > rolls royces/bentleys/jags/mercs of that era
    On another note porsches/bmws (e30 m3 in particular) seem to be high but its more of a worldwide trend there

Have a feeling lower house prices may actually have an impact on new mid range cars (my definition if mid range is 70-120k). Lot of people i know have cars on finance and no property as they feel they were priced out to buy property and gave up.

Serveman likes this.
  7. Serveman

I was thinking that maybe people who have classic cars and end up with negative equity in their investment portfolios might unload their classics to save the furniture if that was their predicament. ( I don't think we are at that stage at present becsuse interest rates are low )

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Phase 3 HOey, you're looking over $1mill

Serveman likes this.
  9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@datto and how about this one P4

i know this bloke and he still has it.

datto likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Wow! Drive it like you own it, not stole it lol.

One recently sold for $2 million.

11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

well, there you go,Sold ! ha that was it.

Serveman and datto like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My husband would rather sell the houses than his classic European motorcycles.

goodtimes, Tom Rivera and Serveman like this.
  13. Serveman

Well if there's anyone out there who shares this passion, I'd like to build a replica of a Toyota 2000gt or hope one day Nissan remakes the 240z again.

goodtimes likes this.
  14. Lindsay_W

370Z is the modern day 240Z :)

15. Lindsay_W

One just failed to sell at recent Shannons Auction on 5th of November - Guiding price was $760K+
    Mint condition, maybe the interest in them is falling?

16. Serveman

I've heard people say that but it's just doesn't look right apart from the rear quarter window. The proportions are wrong, they tried to get the 350z midship look and stretch it to look like a 240z and added those boomerang headlights. It's cramped inside where's the 240z has heaps of room for us tall people and they weigh a tonne and a half.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

I bet there is a close correlation of the prices for Monaro or GTHOs to house prices over the past 20 years. Similar demographics. Anyone have that info to graph it?

18. Lindsay_W

Blame it on modern day safety, noise standards?
    Still 6 cylinder NA motor making good HP out of the box, manual gearbox, rear wheel drive :)

Serveman likes this.
  19. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

2 door skylines and WRXes will be the rightful successors in years to come. Try buying one now at last years prices.

goodtimes and Serveman like this.
  20. Serveman

This could be an interesting topic to explore. Anyone would like to tip a best classic car buy for:
    Right now for future prospects. What about possible decline's