Class 2 & 3 - now with sprinklers per NCC2019

Discussion in 'Development' started by Aaron Sice, 19th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Yep. Read it and weep. All Class 2 and 3 buildings up to 4 storeys and not exceeding 25m effective height.

If you have a timber framed floor with a cavity greater than 200mm you'll need sprinklers in your ceiling-to-floor cavity if the space is over 3sqm. Oh and if your ceiling isn't strong enough for all that water, reinforce it.

If you have a lift shaft, you'll need one in there too.

One or two points can rely on the mains with a DN20 line (pretty standard now). Whole of building needs a minimum 25kl tank with an onsite hydrant / booster.

FIPs are about to get an upgrade too on the back of this.

I'm a bit crosseyed after the reading but it also appears you'll need one over your cooking rangehood / extractor, before any ducting.

Exempted areas are listed, includes non-combustible ceiling cavities (slab and rondo ceiling systems).

Can read all about it at Table E1.5 (Volume 1) or AS2118.4.

'night y'all.

Westminster likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm a little bit dubious about this one, water on gas/electrical/oil fires aren't the best mix.

They don't do it in restaurants, why in residential?

I'll need to have a read.

Aaron Sice and Redwing like this.
  3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought it was odd but I don't think it's above the cooktop, but in the ceiling above the cooktop. So once the fire has started, it is compartment isolated.