Clampdown on foreign investments in Australian assets

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Simon Hampel, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Clampdown on foreign investments to prevent international raids on Australian assets

All foreign investment in Australia will now require approval in a Federal Government move designed to prevent international raids on struggling companies hit by the coronavirus pandemic.

... from today, the Foreign Investment Review Board will scrutinise every single purchase application, regardless of its value.

The ABC understands members of the Government believe the changes will prevent China from taking advantage of Australia's weak financial position to snap-up strategically important assets.

The Federal Government stated the move was not an investment freeze, and Australia recognised investment during the coronavirus outbreak was still beneficial.

But it said the temporary measures were necessary to safeguard the national interest, as the pandemic continued to wreak havoc on the economy and businesses.

... read more
    I think this is a sensible move - but I'm wondering what the potential fallout could be.

Does that mean foreign investors now have to get approval before buying any share on the ASX? Will foreign investment funds (managed funds, ETFs, pension funds, etc) be unable to trade in Australian securities without permission? How does it work?

trinity168, bmc, Silverson and 7 others like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Great news!

LeeM, bmc, Islay and 3 others like this.
  3. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Great initiative and important for national security. I hope they think the application through very carefully.

Brumbie and KateSydney like this.
  4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I worry about each country becoming less of a global player and becoming more isolated and protectionist. This would undoubtedly be a poor outcome and quite possibly further fuel the recent reemergence of nationalism!

Froxy likes this.
  5. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

Normally I would disagree with this behavior but this corona is not exactly a normal recessionary scenario.
    A lot of well managed companies will fail through no fault of their own.

Brumbie likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Personally, I think the globalisation movement has gone a bit too far and we need to be protecting our own national interests a bit more - particularly when it comes to key infrastructure and land.

I'm all for foreign investment in Australia - but I do believe that our mines, ports, farming land etc, should not allowed to be foreign controlled.

I'm not anti-globalisation, and I'm not pro-nationalisation - I think there is a middle ground that we need to aim for, to be part of the global community while also ensuring our own national interests are protected.

Barny, matt_j, trinity168 and 14 others like this.
  7. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Very warranted in these hard times. And the repatriation of critical industries begins. For an economist terrible news. Comparative advantage blah blah. But I am all for building up some industrial capacity in this country. Not everyone can/should be a lawyer. Happy to pay a little extra too within reason, and yes I know this is hard to actually mandate. It becomes a collective decision of the consumer. The Australian consumer needs to wake up and collectively through purchasing behaviour protect their companies. Can 'Team Australia' do this or will it be everyone for themselves.

8. Brumbie

Well it looks like there is at least five of us thinking the same thing! Well done patriots!

9. spludgey

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    As long as it doesn't affect our sovereignty, I'm happy for much in this country (and all others) to be globalised. I also strongly oppose things like "Buy Australian". An Australian life isn't worth any more than a Thai one or a Somali one. If anything, shouldn't we buy from poorer countries?
    And patriotism is only one step away from nationalism, I'll take it one step further and argue that Americans saying that America is the greatest country in the world, is racist.

ccsben and Brumbie like this.
  10. Brumbie

Yeah your view is fine by me. My view has nothing to do with one peoples being better than another. It comes down to your definition of strategic. It has now clearly been shown that energy, food, shelter down to a N95 face mask that a certain country raided from us in the darkness of night is to me strategic. Yes there should be globalism but it needs to be with trustworthy partners. Money should not be the only consideration in a transaction. Perhaps limited ownership is a solution. Being the only free investment country like being the only carbon free economy. Naivety at its greatest and the country will be taken advantage of.

Blueskies, The Falcon and spludgey like this.
  11. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Make it six :)

Brumbie likes this.
  12. Simon Hampel

I don't think of myself as a "patriot", I just want balance. I agree with @spludgey that hanging your hat on "patriotism" is only one step away from "nationalism" and all the bad things that go along with that.

My point of view is not "our country at the cost of all others", it is "we have to look after our own people and not allow ourselves to be beholden to the national interests of other countries".

Again, there needs to be balance here. Many people living in those countries are paid next to nothing for the benefit of the large corporations who outsource their labour there. They are not being lifted out of poverty by us buying the goods made there - the profits all go to the corporations.

My approach is that if we want to live in a country which has a good lifestyle and is safe and stable, then we should be looking after our own - and that means paying taxes and having successful businesses which also contribute to the economy.

We can and should do what we can to support people in poor countries - but our first responsibility is to look after the less fortunate people in our own country - because nobody else will.

ccsben, Brumbie, Islay and 1 other person like this.
  13. spludgey

That seems to be a common line, but most people that use it seem to not do anything to help the less fortunate in our country either. Do you really think that Pauline Hanson cares about people on the dole, single mothers doing it tough or people with substance abuse issues? I'm not implying you're in that category, I'm just making a general point.
    To me, just because someone's physical proximity is closer than another person's does not make them more worthy of help.

ccsben, Brumbie and Islay like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Many people don't care for anyone other than themselves anyway :rolleyes:

Let's keep this thread about foreign investment rather than charity.

spludgey and Brumbie like this.
  15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with looking after your own national interests. If we can’t look after our own population, who will?

The only factory in Australia making face masks is having trouble sourcing the necessary materials from overseas, because (understandably) the country of origin is keeping the supplies for their own use/population.

Silverson and Brumbie like this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

+1

17. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Agree, extra measures need to be put in place at the moment.
    As for foreign investment in agriculture in general, I think many people form their opinion on this without having seen what actually happens. In most cases that I've witnessed in dealing with them fairly closely, foreign companies have came in and paid too much for the land (bonus for the owner) and then proceed to spend extraordinary amounts of money on improvements which provides employment and boosts local economies. Of course at the price they have paid, none of this is sustainable and after a few years they give up on the idea of being "pastoralists" and usually exit with a loss. I haven't seen a single case where the foreign company has taken the property home with them when they've finished. And in most cases the increased productivity and infrastructure benefits of those properties are transferred to the next , usually Australian owner at a discounted price.
    In many cases China in particular have helped drive productivity in agriculture at their own expense.Even the commodities they produce are sold through normal channels in Australia not taken out of the market and exported straight to China.
    Where's the downside?

Willy

18. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Australia needs to be self-sustainable.

Not even looking to other countries, Australia is doing a terrible job at keeping farms operational and manufacturing within our shores, on just about all fronts Australian politicians are failing the populace.

trinity168 likes this.
  19. Simon Hampel

I went looking for some examples that I thought I had read and came across this article from 2015 which discusses some of the issues: Beef, big bucks and buy-ups: are Chinese investors changing the face of Australia?

Their conclusion seemed to indicate that it is "complicated" and not clear cut evidence of any particular agenda (other than profit), although food security did come up. There does seem to be a stated goal of vertical integration and seeking to control the supply chain from Australian farm to Chinese shop which does fit with what I was looking to show. But they also indicated that the Chinese are very small and still quite inexperienced players in the (Australian) farming market, despite the media coverage they get. The article seems to largely agree with your analysis.

I'll reserve my judgement on this matter - I think there are too many unknowns. Perhaps it's not that much of a big deal - at least not yet.

Longer term, I am concerned that if allowed to continue unfettered, we could end up with our own food security issues if foreign interests (China, Japan, Korea, etc) end up controlling a significant percentage of our farming land and reserving the produce for their own benefit. That being said, Australia is an very large country with a very small population - so it's unlikely to be an issue for quite some time - and as you said, the foreign owners need to be able to farm profitably to justify the investment.

So other than land (farming and perhaps mining), my point still remains - I don't feel that we should be allowing any kind of foreign control over our key infrastructure. That's not excluding foreign investment in other areas - just the critical stuff.

20. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

I know of a few cases where Chinese companies are a producer of commodies here in Australia and are also an exporter of those commodities in Australia and a processor of those commodities in China. They are fully intergrated right under our noses but operate each business at arms length the same as any other market participants. Theyre commodities are sold through the normal market in which they are a competitor. Why? Because there is a conflict of interest in buying things cheap when your dealing with your self. I'm also not convinced that they are coming here to profit. In a lot of cases the properties they buy sit there unstocked and unmanaged only to be sold a few years later. Not the actions of a country trying to take over the country's agricultural industry. Some use us to store money outside of China and have no interest in agriculture at all.
    When it comes to agriculture they don't know what they're doing and they won't trust us to help them. They will come and go like most other countries have at different times.

Willy

Simon Hampel likes this.