Claiming two years of landlords insurance in one financial year

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by money, 16th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. money

money Well-Known Member

Am I right in my assumption that if you have the tax invoice date of a landlords insurance policy started in July/Aug 2017 and have the renewal notice for that policy was sent recently and dated June 2018, we are able to claim both year's policies this financial year? It also doesn't matter if we pay the renewal policy in July, what matters is the tax invoice date.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You can only claim an expense that is incurred. If you have an invoice then you probably have incurred it so can claim it.

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My understanding is that its based on when paid not the invoice date as the expense is not incurred until paid per above. So you would be able to claim both if both paid in FY18.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

BOTH must be paid within the twelve months eg one is paid on 01 July 2017 and other paid 29 June 2018.

However if the latter payment is prepaid more than 12mths in advance it would NOT be deductible in full

5. Possumcreek

Possumcreek Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave and Paul for clarifying as I have been wondering the exact same thing. I didn't know if I could make the 2 payments within the same year and claim them as per your example Paul :)

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Provided the insurer issues the policy docs before 30 June 2018 and its also paid before then...no problem

Possumcreek likes this.