Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Claiming travel expenses

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by B-Mac, 20th Jul, 2015.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Well-Known Member

If i traveled to melbourne last FY to inspect 3 properties, talk to real estate agents etc, however, didn't end up buying anything do the standard travel deductions still apply?

My sole purpose for the trip was for investment, i went alone and have receipts for all expenses.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

You can only claim travel for visits to properties you already own. In your scenario, you get $0 as you only went to inspect with the intention of buying.......sorry you get nothing.:(

EN710 likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Solicitor, Finance Broker, CTA Business Member

Yes no deduction possible. Unless perhaps you are in the business of property.

4. MikeLivingTheDream

MikeLivingTheDream BCOM MCOM MTAX CPA CTA Registered Tax Agent

and cant be added to the cost base

5. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

I have travelled to inspect the property a couple of days after the contract was signed (bought site unseen). Are these travel expenses deductible?

6. smator

smator Well-Known Member

What type of evidence do you need for when you inspect your property?

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

An email trail with the managing agent would be a good start to establish the reason for going. After this, travel & accom expenses backed up by copies of invoices and a vehicle log book if claiming per klm rate would be good. Even a diary note supporting all the above is what I'd do.

8. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

This month in YIP magazine their tax expert said that you can't claim flights only car hire etc in the location. Does anyone else know if this is true?

9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What's the purpose of the visit?

10. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

To lease apartment / let in tenant

11. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

Whoops hit post too early

I let apartment directly ie no agent

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If the purpose of the trip is to lease (eg hold opens, clean, do maintenance) your IP then flights would normally be deductible.

As always get your own professional advice for your circumstances.

13. Terry_w

Terry_w Solicitor, Finance Broker, CTA Business Member

Don't believe what you see in those magazines!

14. Paul@PFI

Paul@PFI Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Member

The mag may have explained that if you are travelling to say the Gold Coast for a family holiday and decide to attend the IP meet agent etc for a day then yes its likely the travel costs is a holiday and the purpose for travel by air is private. No deduction may be available other than say the hire of a car for a day etc.

I worked in a practice with lots of teacher clients a while back. We also used to see claims for HSC history study tours etc. The ATO view was quite clear - If the employer did not allow the employee fully paid leave during working terms to attend then the travel cost was not deductible at all. And they needed a diary that indicated the itinerary...Stop off on the way back could affect a % of deductions as an example. Another positive was where the employer partly subsidised the trip by allocating approved leave and partly paid fares etc. This is often seen by Catholic teachers doing holy land etc trips as a group - ie Principals. Its imperative there is an approved trip / leave etc. If the employee takes the trip in (paid) holidays it likely non-deductible. (These are highly simplified examples)

This "nexus" which aligns a cost with the travel purpose occurs with IP owners too. I generally recommend that a sole and exclusive trip is taken to attend to an existing IP and its management. Trips on or after settlement to attend to income producing activities need to be limited and a longer trip to clean the place up and do initial repairs can harm a deduction. Travel should be ideally limited to same or next day return. The longer the travel the bigger the problem. The need to maintain a travel diary is also essential in many cases.