Claiming Interest deduction in current year for investment property previously sold

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by dummies, 11th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dummies

dummies New Member

Hi all,

It will be great if you guys can have an answer for this, I have been searching on ATO website for a while and can't find anything.

"My relative sold an investment property two years ago at a loss and couldn't have enough funds from the proceeds to pay off the mortgage, he is continuing to pay the interest on the loan until now. Under TR 2004/4, you can claim interest deduction after cessation of business or passive investment (rental property, shares etc.) after a few conditions have been satisfied. The question is if I am 100% sure that he is eligible for deduction, under which deduction categories (D1-D10) on the income tax return, the interest expenses can be claimed?"

This is the link for TR 2004/4:
    http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?DocID=TXR/TR20044/NAT/ATO/00001

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes interest can be claimed under certain conditions, provided the loan hasn't been changed.

I have a future tax tip on this.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Usually claimed at D15.
    Amend prior years within the 2 year rule

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2016
  4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

I claimed for many years interest on loans for shares funds (the fund name started with "N" BTW) for which I couldn't pay pay the loan from the proceeds after sale. I found the ATO rules, the accountant agreed and charged for me his advice. I did this for about 6 years until the loan was paid out refinancing to another lender and sufficient connection to the original investment was lost, well at least to a level of safety that I was willing to accept in a slightly grey area.

If you have such a loan, don't touch it.

If you have such a loan, and you have to ask which section to put the claim in, and you don't have a pro doing your tax --> :eek:

If you have such a loan after 6 years, then just pay it out and move on !

I've lost a shedload of money on shares and managed funds, never of on property. Got wonder why that it.

dummies and Terry_w like this.