Claiming interest charged on the loan

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Chill2205, 16th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

I have a quick simple question which i'll put forward with the example below;

Say you have a property that you draw down $100k from the equity. You use that money to buy an investment property off the plan, thats to be completed in say 18 months time.
    Come tax time, can you claim the interest charged on that $100K from when you first paid/signed contract or is it deductible only once the IP is finished and producing income?

Cheers

Last edited: 16th May, 2018
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

At the moment if you borrow to buy a property intended to rent out the interest would be deductible from date incurred.

But depends on how structured. Read my tax tips

3. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry. I did split the loan into an investment loan before I used the money if that's what your suggesting.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

That's good, but any detours of the borrowed funds along the way should be avoided too.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Note - The deductibility of interest this way is proposed to end after the recent budget. Only costs after the property is completed and available for rent will be deductible. Proposed start July 2019.