City of Sydney now in favour of apartment buildings making their own decisions on allowing Airbnb

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Gockie, 26th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

So, the link mentions:-

"But giving owners’ corporations the power to decide whether residents can or can’t short-term lease their entire apartments doesn’t seem fair to apartment resident Alice Hidajat, 29, who has previously vocalised her support for Airbnb. Ms Hidajat rents her whole studio out only occasionally when she goes away for work as a relationship manager for S & P Global, or on holiday."

Leasing "...entire apartments..." seems to be no longer "sharing" in the context of the article, but more short term "sub-letting", which could be seen as detrimental to the argument.

Owner's Corporations' powers probably also don't seem fair to car body collectors, Alpaca breeders, asbestos dumpers, and floorboard installers who like jumping around on pogo-sticks, and sometimes some consideration should be given to how neighbours might feel collectively about a given residents somewhat obtuse, and maybe out of hours, habits.

Hopefully, and each to their own, it sort of occurs to me that Alice might consider it to be wise to have an "Airbnb swap-bed" (or similar) available in her studio, as a replacement for her own, when she goes away for work or on holiday, to accommodate numerous random short-term letters, as the alternative might not be viewed as ideal for the experience she receives when she returns...

3. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Im sick of these Airbnb people in my building particularly on my floor.

Mostly young bogans renting for the weekends coming to the City

I now throw my rubbish bags out into the floor area, just pop open my apartment door just slightly and hurl the rubbish bag out ; usually as they are waiting for the lifts.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, that's kind of rude, don't you think? And it won't change anything at all, only the perception that the other residents have of you.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So what difference will it make?

Sadly, many Airbnb hosts seem to think they are exempt from any body corporate decisions.
    Marg

Ted Varrick likes this.