WA City of Joondalup re zoning UPDATE

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by moridog, 5th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Current Status
    The Western Australian Planning Commission considered Scheme Amendment No 73 at its meeting held on 10 November 2015. The report and recommendation was confidential. Following consideration by the Western Australian Planning Commission, Scheme Amendment No 73 was forwarded to the Minister for Planning for final approval.

The Minister for Planning has supported the amendment subject to a number of modifications. The City is currently undertaking these required modifications prior to returning the documents to the Western Australian Planning Commission for final approval. It is anticipated that Scheme Amendment No 73 will take effect from the end of January 2016 through notification in the Government Gazette.

Council also considered the submissions received during public consultation and adopted the Residential Development Local Planning Policy and Height of Non-Residential Buildings Local Planning Policy at its meeting held on 15 December 2015 (refer to report CJ228-12/15). These policies will come into effect from 14 January 2016.

It is only once the Local Housing Strategy recommendations are incorporated into DPS2 will landowners be able to apply for development or subdivision approval in line with the new densities.

A neighbouring property at our IP is going on the market and they said the zoning was pretty well through, this is from City of Joondalup website.

2. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Hi @moridog, I saw this yesterday and was surprised. Last thing I saw on the council meetings minutes was they were going to go for another draft version.

It will be interesting to see what happens in some of the suburbs where there has only ever been larger blocks and houses.

3. moridog

Yes, it moves our place to R20/40 but the neighbour whose house is being listed had apparently a duplex block anyway. I dont know the size of it and am not switched on enough with the R codes to comprehend how big a difference that makes? Ours is over 800 so I think that would make it a triplex but I am probably wrong :)

4. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Mine will also go to the R20/40 and potentially a triplex, waiting to see what the final decision was regarding minimum frontage.

5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Do you know details regarding multiple dwelling policy in City of Joondalup? Could be more potential than just a triplex?

@Westminster the smart cookie might know!

6. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Not sure of the final details. Have been trying to work out the changes as per their website.
    Was going to wait and see how the redevelopment of the old school sites in Craigie went. The bulk of these will be R40 green title 300sqm plus but the old primary school has a higher density and apparently apartments have been planned.
    This would hopefully give me an idea of end prices as at the moment there is nothing to compare to.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If their's is 800+ and regular size they could possibly apply themselves straight to WAPC and get a duplex allowed on it but technically needs to be 900sqm to meet the Rcodes. WAPC has some dispensation to allow 5% variation on sizes and some other discretionary policies for blocks that can make 2 frontages (wide or corners).

@moridog at R40 yes yours would be triplex. That depends on what extra over the Council will put on it to achieve the R40 part of the dual code.

@LifesGood I'm not up to date on City of Joondalup changes, I know the areas but not what the policies are likely to look like at the end. Dual coding (as the City of Kalamunda people have found out) can giveth and taketh away.

8. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

9. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Well-Known Member

Need 2000m2 for multis in Joondalup from memory

10. Westminster

Whoa! Really?
    I've done stuff in City of Wanneroo (Clarkson and Mindarie) but not ventured over to City of Joondalup. Though spent an abnormal amount of time driving around the Council chambers for the past month teaching our 16yo to drive in the area as it's where he was sitting his test. He did his practical test on Monday and passed!

property world, moridog and LifesGood like this.
  11. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Sorry you have lost me here. Multis?

12. Gingerbeer

Can't seem to find any mention in the planning scheme so don't hold me to it lol. Not sure where else I would have read it.

So you've got a designated driver now - good times!

Westminster likes this.
  13. Gingerbeer

Multis = Multiple Units = Apartments

property world likes this.
  14. Westminster

Multi units is the official term in WA for an apartment.
    It's a little confusing as you would think building multiple units is what you are doing with a duplex, triplex etc.
    The technical term for those is a Grouped dwelling.
    So:
    Single Dwelling: just building one dwelling
    Grouped Dwelling: building more than one dwelling that is not an apartment
    Multi Unit Dwellings: apartments - the definition allows some play and you can have 2 storey apartments that look like townhouses.

15. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster and @Gingerbeer . In my reading of Joondalups website the mention of apartments has never come up.

16. Westminster

So now you have reinterpret what you read because when they say multi units they mean apartments.

17. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

I was looking at the group dwelling R40 regulations. Mainly being the min 180 sqm average 220sqm.
    Now as far as I can tell Joondalup will be the same as per State planning policy 3.1. The only provision being minimum 10m frontage.
    Then I could be wrong. They need a how to for dummies.

18. Westminster

If it's plain R40 it's generally as per the state planning policy BUT you and @moridog look to be getting R20/R40. This is a dual coding and the council is allowed to make up their own set of hoops which will determine why a block can achieve the r40 instead of the base R20.

Examples from other councils have been:
    - original dwelling must be retained
    - min block size 1000sqm
    - minimum frontage 25m
    - new dwellings must be two storey

Bit more wait and see to find out what the Council want and what WAPC have agreed to. I sincerely hope it's not as disastrous as Kalamunda's R30/R40 criteria.

19. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

I have waited many a year now. A couple more weeks wont kill me. Either way its great to see something finally happening.

Westminster likes this.
  20. moridog

Congrats on your son, good on him. And you too, I tried to teach my oldest but could feel my mental health becoming imperilled.

As you say, a wait and see for the r codes, I will be interested to see how much interest the neighbour receives at first home open this weekend. She said the agents assistant didn't seem to know anything about it.