Christmas Rally then New Year Correction??

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Tony, 26th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Hope you all have had a great Christmas.

There has been a spike in the lead up to Christmas across most of the major LICs and they are trading at near 52week highs. For those in the game long enough, is there typically a correction or fall in these prices heading into the new year?

Im learning and there is no crystal ball and Ive read that you should continually invest when you can, but if the pattern has been that there is typically a price reduction in the next few weeks then that would be the time to get in. If not, then the bet time is whenever you have the funds.

Thanks in advance

2. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Redwing likes this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed, hoping to spend some cash mid year, nothing looks great buying to me currently. I'll average in if nothing pops up.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

sharon and Alex Straker like this.
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

The 45 day holding rule to get dividend franking credits also comes into play the last 2 weeks of December for an early February ex-div date for the big LICs and major shares as its interim reporting season.

pinkboy

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yep, although it only applies I understand if the total franking credit is less than $5,000. For some preference shares it's 90 days. Both exclude the day of disposal.