Chris Joye Predictions Tracker

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by TheSackedWiggle, 14th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Latest interview with Switzer

kmrr, MTR, bamp and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

I agree with his analysis and have built my macro model on similar assumptions.

When actual variable home loan rate increase from 3% today to 4.5% - 5% in 12-18 months then no doubt the property prices should retrace by 15%-25%. Still above 2019 level.

kmrr likes this.
  3. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Assuming no government intervention.....

4. Tofubiscuit

Always a possibility. The only thing is, not sure if this time around Oz government have any ammo left

5. Investor_Scotty

Investor_Scotty Well-Known Member

I've been looking at this model myself - replicated the result in excel.

I'm unsure if he's actually factored in rental increases? Vacancy rates are low and expected to stay that way.

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I reckon Chris Joye is spot on. All the issues I have discussed before.

What I was surprised about was he thinks that the market could correct 15-25%! Wow! My figure was 10-20%

He also points out the equilibrium point.. he certainly does have a point when he says house prices are rising despite no real population growth. So it would seem to indicate it is not a supply issue but type of product issue (house vs high densty products like units).

Very interesting....

kmrr, KJA182 and Dmash like this.
  7. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

35 year loans?

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  8. TheSackedWiggle

During late 2019 and early 2020,
    RBA used cashrates cuts from 1.5 to 0.1%,
    and APRAs lowered assessment rates,
    This resulted in both RBA/Apras collectively pumping borrowing capacity of JoeTheFOMO by 30+%, without any real wage rise for the 2020-21 period.
    The end result of this increase in BC resulted in australia wide house price rise by 35+%, without real wage increase and real population increase.
    I think CJ is referring to this.

I guess he is saluting the consistency of JoeTheFOMO who can always be banked on, to do the STRAYAN thing whenever BC increases
    ie "Joe shall borrow till the hilt, so thou can flipp"

Last edited: 15th May, 2022
    Dmash likes this.
  9. TheSackedWiggle

Think big
    We are already close to zero cash rate with highest ever housing debt to gdp.
    A seasoned junkie needs ever increasing hit to remain high.

Last edited: 15th May, 2022
    Onlinedave likes this.
  10. Tofubiscuit

Self promotion here, I uploaded my own model which include a rental increase vs purchase adjustment factor. Search for Crystal Ball thread, more then welcome to critic the model so I can make it better

For 2023, even with 20% rent increase the property fall range will be 15%-20%. Big assumption here is rate only go up 2%.

If it goes up by 3% as markets is predicting by end of 2022.... we could see 30% fall. I do not believe this will be the case as it will be a catastrophy.

11. Investor_Scotty

Investor_Scotty Well-Known Member

One point of note is that the RBA's regression on this only has a coefficient for the yield/user cost balance of 0.023. It's not meaningful enough to shift the forecast to anywhere like Chris has.

Is this the model you're running?

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I do too

However, impact on housing prices will be dependent on how fast interest rates rise. If RBA goes slow with this we may see 10-15% drop, otherwise it may fall harder

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I am in the slow camp....but 25% will upset quite a few people in Sydney...Melbourne...Hobart...Brisbane where it will be most affected.

14. Tofubiscuit

I built my own little macro level model. Playing with rates, rental, wage growth, inflation. From a perspective of an average Sydney upgrades.

Rental increases will help cushion falls, but max 5%.

@MTR I'm with you too. But kind of scary because if rate go up fast like market is predicting... the impact would be unprecedented in most people's living memory.

Surely governments and central banks will step in.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But remember some investors have enjoyed 35%+ growth.

My strategy is to take some money off the table. Mitigate risk, keep debt level low and increase cash flow so impact is minimal.
    Its not IF but WHEN

Anchor, TheSackedWiggle and sash like this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep... that is what I have done.... but 95% of the people will not do this and will regret this.

frankjeager and MTR like this.
  17. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Remain to be convinced we’ll see anything like market predicted base rates in 2-3 years. More likely capping out below 2.0%. Why?..

1. inflation mainly cost-push in Aus, rather than demand pull (from material wage rises at/above inflation rate)

2. inflationary factors (global supply constraints) likely to be short-term for mostpart, rather than structural

3. price of money supply in Aus from lenders whose cost of funds already well above RBA due to relatively higher offshore MM pricing for their issuances (hence sudden hunger for deposits by banks)

4. item (3) maps against more conservative APRA serviceability, weighing hard on borrowing capacity now = 10% drops seen already in key capitals

5. above factors acting to quickly diminish previously buoyed consumer sentiment

In spite of pockets of wage inflation we hear about (eg IT), Australian wages don’t react as fast (or as much) as offshore - US notably - with more mobile, agile labour markets.

I can see the inflation damping potentially over-correcting if RBA goes above 1.75-2.0%, leading back to the stubbornly low inflation levels in the decade pre-Covid.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Another little chestnut….. If Labor wins …. Watch property prices tumble

2FAST4U and Clive Palmer's Yacht like this.
  19. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Adding to deflationary pressure as that flows through to consumer sentiment

MTR likes this.
  20. Tofubiscuit

10 year bond yield is also often used as discounting factor for asset valuation.

It was as low as 0.50% during COVID but now at 3.8%.

A house that is renting gross at $1,000 = roughly at $50k p.a. $50k ÷ 3.8% = $1.31m

This house is probably valued at $3m today with gross rental yield of 1.66%

Something have to change.

KingCantona7 likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia