Choosing Structure to invest in sha

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by LeeM, 21st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LeeM

LeeM Well-Known Member

Hi all, I’m very new to invest in shares & financial instruments. So please bear with me if I’m asking very basic questions here.
    So I’ve been using a Discretionary Trust to invest in properties for years. I’m now in the process of selling one of the ip and then invest in shares & other financial instruments instead. Should I use the same Trust to invest in shares? Or create a new one? Or use my own name? @Terry_w mentioned in other thread that there’ll be legal issues in this. So I’m really worried and just want to get the structure right from the beginning. Thanks

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Depends on any number of things. Whether you have a spouse, children and what there incomes are. Estate planning? Do you need asset protection? Who knows.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There are legal issues to everything. You need specific advice from a lawyer, especially on the existing trust. I have seen many that need abandoning and starting over again.

Here is a thread from a while back

Legal Tip 151: Structuring the Ownership of Shares Legal Tip 151: Structuring the Ownership of Shares