NSW Choice Between Concord and West Ryde

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mina, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

I was in a similar position not too long ago. Purchased OTP on a 5% deposit in Macquarie park 2013, settled 2017, chased FHOG and then the market changed so suddenly with outflow of chinese capital. If I didn't chase OTP, could have sold at a good 50-60K more than the current value. I ended up just renting it out after the 6 months.

For the case of your partner, the only possible way to get CG's anytime soon in this market is if developers somehow find feasibility in old walk-up apartment sites around West Ryde/or they get rezoned to higher density , especially the strip south of Victoria road e.g Maxim st etc. Don't think that qualifies for FHOGs though. You might be super lucky and get a great yield in the current market in a boutique new low strata complex, probs won't be worthwhile for the $10,000.

2. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I actually live very close to Westryde and have looked into both suburbs in details.

The real question to the OP is where do you work and what do you want to be close to?

All things equal, Concord is more of an upmarket suburb than Westryde is at present and if there were no other criterias I would pick Concord hands down.

However what I dont like about Concord is that (I dont use public transport) and that side of town tends to get a lot of traffic.

I would pick Westryde because it is slightly easier to get around by car and with whats happening in Parramatta, Westryde will likely have a better future.

3. tess_

tess_ Well-Known Member

Concord used to be a very prestigious suburb but there is an increasing amount of crime and vandalism in it. This observation is anecdotal through local mums on FB. Petty theft, wilful vandalism of parks, burnt out cars seems to be increasing. I'm quite surprised at the trend myself because I always thought Concord was rather exclusive

4. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Concord used to be working class, when my parents bought there in 1974, nobody except factory or hospital workers wanted to live there. As times changed through the 80s it became better and by 1990s when all the factories like Gas works, Tannner Middleton and Dulux were closed and gone and replaced with apartments it moved towards Middle class.
    Then in 2000s it became upper middle class and the old Commodores and Falcons were replaced with White Range Rovers, Mercedes E63s and lots of cafes.

Crime is no worse than other suburbs and part of the reason I never moved back is it’s very clicky, you either want to be in the group or you are a out cast. From the stories friends tell me the school Mums can be viscous if you don’t have a full face of make up and dresses to impress.

I now live in the West Ryde area and it’s more like the Concord I grew up in, lots of community spirit, participation in local school events, food mix of nationalities, less show off in regards to how big your house is and what car u drive.

Concord has great pockets of houses and streets and I do have fond memories but it has changed, West Ryde would be my pick South side of Vic Rd due to access to the parks and cycle ways or Denistone.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Re: West Ryde/Denistone. I think north or south of Victoria Rd doesn't matter so much.

On the north side:
    * There's quite a nice green bush corridor not far from the station
    * Quite nice quiet streets
    * To get to West Ryde station you wouldn't have to cross Victoria Rd
    * All the shops are there.

But on the other hand, if you are at the very south end of West Ryde you could:
    * Walk to Meadowbank and
    * You are closer to the waterfront.

If I was to buy a house in the suburb, I would want it not too close to Victoria Rd, and I'd also want it to be close enough to a train station to be able to walk.
    Ideally out of ear shot of the trains too, but maybe that's pushing it too much!

I've owned a unit in West Ryde North of Victoria Rd and one South of Victoria Rd. I think my one south of Victoria Rd where we used to live for a few years wasn't south enough for us to really go visit the Meadowbank waterfront. It was handy for me to ride the pushbike to SOP though for Sunday SVL volleyball, there's a good bike trail. (SOP is always very sucky for parking!)

Btw, when we were looking to upgrade to a house in 2007 we could have bought in West Ryde. A purchase there didn't eventuate though.

Also, we almost bought in North Strathfield (Princess Avenue) at that time but partner decided he was less keen on the house than I was. Not a bad decision, the immediate area has no local parks and playgrounds!

We looked at a few in Concord too but for whatever reason, we didn't go past a first inspection for any properties there. I think we just weren't overly keen on the houses.

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2017