NSW Choice Between Concord and West Ryde

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mina, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mina

Mina Member

Hello Friends We are looking to buy on the Northern Line . We saw a couple of houses in Concord and West Ryde. We found that the houses in Concord were expensive and required immediate renovation to be done before moving in but with houses in West Ryde they are all done up. Wondering which way to go also the land Size is also bigger in West Ryde. I am confused which way do we go. Will we be making a wrong decision if we buy in West Ryde. Please provide your opinions. Thanks Mina

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

With what you wrote... go for West Ryde. Concord isn't particularly worthy of a premium imo.

Mina likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The two suburbs are not that far away from each other and if the pricing is similar, I'd go West Ryde.

Mina likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check transport options for each:
    West Ryde - Station, Victoria Road E/W, M bus to Parramatta/City
    Concord - Parramatta Rd & M4,West Connex, (North Strathfield/Concord West/Burwood Stations), M bus to Chatswood/Burwood

Also suss out the new Metro - does it go through the Bays Precinct or north of Parramatta River?

Mina likes this.
  5. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

If you plan to knockdown rebuild in the future to sell or if you are buying something with significant land holdings for a one off detached family entertainer, I'd go with Concord. The people in Concord, especially in pockets near Majors Bay and Cabarita are alot wealthier than West Ryde. It'll also have the flow on affect of any people priced out if the Strathfield/Homebush market.

I grew up in Ryde and lived there for 13 years, moved to Strathfield a few years ago and this area is definitely better if your into the whole status prestige thing. Nevertheless, West Ryde is a lovely area, and if you can find nice big block in West Ryde in a tree-lined street, I'd probably take that over a significantly smaller block in Concord.

West Ryde roughly $2300-2700 p/sqm
    Concord $3200- $3800 p/sqm some pockets up to $4500 p/sqm.

6. Mina

Mina Member

Thanks Kevin the price we are paying is for a totally run down house which requires renovation and the land size is also small.

7. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

I see, just make sure that you don't renovate a knockdown! Some older homes retain more value as a knockdown and are better off left that way. Did you have any other criteria in mind such as school for any kids, work proximity, public transport requirements etc.

Is there a budget in mind?

8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

What do people think about units in West Ryde? For me I'm not a fan of strata or units in the Sydney market, but the partner is eligible for the first home owner's grant and wants to buy a place in West Ryde so that she can live in it for the 6 months and rent it out.

She is looking at unit complex near the train station and she works in the city. For me I'm currently based in Parramatta but probably end up moving to the city. From what I can see on some of the contracts, they wouldn't allow you to obtain a copy of the building certificate, which is pretty odd.

Guess I'll benefit from this as well because I can rent out my PPOR and pay the minimal rent to her to increase my serviceability to get out of 2nd tier lenders!

KevinJ likes this.
  9. fols

fols Well-Known Member

IMO Concord is a far nicer suburb than West Ryde, hence the price premium. Block sizes tend to be large - ish as well. Lots of knockdown rebuilds happening at the moment, especially of the large
    Duplex variety.

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Isn't parts of Concord heavily affected by the Westconnex?

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

only the ones that border parramatta rd (which is a small portion)

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I own in West Ryde.
    Concord is a nicer suburb. Not as good as for public transport. Private transport isn't the best on weekends.
    That said, people in Concord are nicer than those in Strathfield. Very family friendly

jins13 likes this.
  13. Mina

Mina Member

I agree about the suburb but it is all changing with the number of units on concord Rd and new units planned in Rhodes. And traffic on Homebush bay and Concord road is getting worse.

14. Gockie

Well, she missed the boom. But if she's not overly concerned that prices mightn't go anywhere much....
    I've owned two in West Ryde. From my experience it's been an easy location to rent out.

jins13 likes this.
  15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for that and yes, I did inform her that capital gain is very unlikely. She is low balling some of the units on the market and playing the waiting game.

16. Gockie

Might have luck if she finds some crappy agents.

17. Gockie

What about a 1 bedroom apartment right near the city? Walk to work. Always demand.

18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Yes, some agents who are pretty new in their role or not very good. Banking on the fact that people are silly to pay over the top.

Did consider, but way too much for crap stock. Did consider Rozelle but the Westconnex destroyed that idea. Did also consider Marrickville as well.

19. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Concord is a much nicer place to live. More affluent, very family orientated and surrounded by some good spots like Breakfast Point and Cabarita. I would however give it to West Ryde in public transport to the city

20. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I love Breakfast Point. Water and beautiful managed development. Gorgeous to walk around ferry to city

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF