Food & Dining Chinese Tea Eggs 茶叶蛋

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 20th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Chinese tea leaf eggs (also known as Chinese Marbled Eggs, 茶葉蛋) is a common snack in Asian countries and quite delicious. If you're wanting to try something a little different with eggs which is very easy to make then give it a go. You can use a slow cooker or even just a small pot. I just made this last night (if i can do it anyone can) and it looks not too bad. It's actually quite refreshing. I should have cracked the shells more for better design but the taste will be the same.

Ingredients

• 6 large eggs
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce (I used light soy sauce, but use dark soy sauce if you would like a more defined pattern)
    • 2 cups water
    • 2 whole star anise
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • Peel of 1/4 of an orange
    • 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn
    • 1 tablespoon sliced ginseng
    • 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
    • 3 tablespoons black tea leaves
    How to:
    1. In a small saucepan, boil the eggs for about 5 minutes. Drain the eggs and let them sit in a bowl of cold water until the eggs are cool enough to handle.
    2. Using the back of a small spoon, tap all around each egg, until the eggshell is cracked through, but still intact. If small pieces of the eggshell come off, that is fine, but try to keep the eggshell all in one piece around the egg.
    3. Put the eggs back into the saucepan. Add the soy sauce into the saucepan. Add in just enough water to cover the eggs (I used about 2 cups of water for my saucepan). Add in all the ingredients.
    4. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
    5. Allow the saucepan to cool, then transfer it to a refrigerator to sit for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight.

chayedan.jpg

Mel Morgan, Ouchmyknees and Noobieboy like this.
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Russian have something very similar. Only instead of soi it’s beetroot.

You put dill and herbs on the shell for some pretty awesome pattern. A few holes in the shell and you get similar marbeling.

2085AF59-51A3-4C06-8AE2-DBCF4FD55E59.jpeg

Ouchmyknees and Sackie like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That looks very cool. I gotta try it.

4. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I make them often and call them "dinasaur eggs" due to the markings, and they last forever and ever in the fridge. There are a simpler way to do it, just buy the ingredient pack from any Asian grocer, and boil it with the eggs and dark soy sauce (for coloring).

Attached Files:

Sackie likes this.
  5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I’m fully backing your partner!! Plus it feels more your own if you use your own mix. Better achievement.

And you can experiment as much as you want. Mix ingredients to your liking. Seriously, time to listen to the wisdom of your other half :p

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would choose to go the prepackaged route too...if my partner wasn't so paranoid about food stuff from China... And I can understand her paranoia to be honest

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Like I have a choice in the matter.o_O

8. Ouchmyknees

Surely the imported food has gone through rigorous testing and screening before they are allowed to grace Australian table? Also isn't your wife is from China? If she is, she is probably already immune to all the harmful stuff anyway ;P. As we have a saying, "You can't poison a Chinese."

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What about me! :p

10. Ouchmyknees

You are being cultured. :)

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

yeah.. from the inside out..o_O