Chinese money moving away

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by hash_investor, 27th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

2. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Its begun!

Terry_w likes this.
  3. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting. Q3 2017 (Jul-Sep) I think will be an interesting reporting period.

I believe today (Feb 28th) official economic perfoemance data comes out, no? I wonder how Aus will do?

JL1 likes this.
  4. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Probably will be ok as mining prices have picked up. However there has been a drop in construction and other sectors. Was kinda expecting a technical recession but commodity/oil prices have kinda held up, though for how long is the question as China has reversed the limits on working days on their mines, after they limited the working days last year to reduce excess capacity. Also the Chinese New year is now over and all the workers will be returning to the mines and increasing production again. Another major export LNG(lots from QLD) has seen consistent price declines since peaking in decemeber.
    China may reinstate 276-day rule for coal producers

The torrent of $$ coming out of China has slowed to a trickle as well so suspect not much more moolah will be coming from Chinese companies investing here. 20billion/month now only 900million.
    China’s Yuan Outflows Plummet, Showing Capital Controls Pay Off

If we do go into a technical recession, things are really gonna get interesting. #excited

C-mac likes this.
  5. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Loverenting likes this.
  6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

To a degree maybe..as Sydney and Mel become more expensive they may look for other alternatives such as HK, sg, kl etc..still unknown as to the extent they will look for other alternatives in Australia ex Sydney and Melbourne. Brisbane amd gc is getting more Chinese money in resi but no where near what Sydney amd Melbourne get.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think the Chinese buyers are still quite strong in inner Brisbane from what i have seen over the past 3 months at the mid-week weekends opens on the inner southside..In fact there was a small toyota hire bus same driver each time same well dressed Chinese Lady with different well dressed Chinese
    each time i saw them..imho..

JacM likes this.
  8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What official economic performance data? Australian GDP for q4/16 comes out tomorrow. Most commentators predict it as positive, but then they also predicted q3 to be much higher than it was.

C-mac likes this.
  9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

10. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Wow. I would be worried if I paid a premium in Werribee hoping to subdivide and on sell for profit

11. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

lol is that in or near sunnybank? that's probably the only place that's gonna get anymore of the dwindling chinese money.

Hongkong is booming now as a result of Chinese money still being able to go there. Pretty hard to get money out of china now.

12. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Quandong - very interesting name for the suburb. I wonder if that is an Indigenous or Chinese name? Sounds like it could be either / or both?

Barny and WattleIdo like this.
  13. turk

turk Well-Known Member

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

With the limits the Chinois can borrow and smuggle (err take out) of China.....it will put the brakes on Sydney and Melbourne.

Brisbane...Perth..Hobart...Adelaide here come the Chinois.....

But also heard from the guv in England.....Liverpodians...Manchesters...Birmingham is also getting attention.

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

No a bit further in from Sunnybank --Annerley Yeronga-Moorooka-DuttonPark West End inner southside and it's been going on for a long time..

16. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Liverpudlians, Mancunians and Brummies :) :) :)

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes guv....na what I mean!

18. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Its not a new name. You can see on google maps

19. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

Q3 is exactly the period I am watching out for this year. The effects of low seasonal population growth in Q2 will time with increased dwelling completions over last year, and set the stage for an interesting Q3.

I expect that with resources jobs in WA picking up, interstate migration will have slowed by this point which is bringing in some 15-20,000 people to Melbourne each year (a large portion from WA). Though this pales in comparison to the overseas migration stats, it is enough people to considerably sway the supply/demand ratio. Likewise for migration between NSW and QLD, though with predominantly coal and metal processing in QLD, I don't expect the recovery will be as strong as WA.

C-mac likes this.
  20. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Just flying back from Melbourne now.

I didn't realise just how many towers are still breaking ground despite the existing apartment glut in certain suburbs and hubs. I can't see Q3 being kind to these Melbourne apartment values.

JL1 likes this.