China problem for property market?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by einentiva, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

Some of your comments are fair and I agree with you on most things. I think we had the right to call for an investigation and that is the right approach. Historically, with more recent virus cases in the past, I would say 20 years, the medical field took on investigations to understand what happened so they could learn from it. China’s reaction with the tariffs, in my personal opinion, was politically motivated and was intended to hurt Australia economically. I don’t agree with this approach and I consider it a very emotional reaction. However, I do have to say, right before this request by Morrison, there were various news about a phone call between Trump and Morrison. Now, knowing the tariff tactics America took and I personally would call it bullying, and the fact that before this, America said they don’t support the WHO, and therefore could not request for the WHO to initiate an investigation, I think Morrison took on the request from Trump to call for this investigation. You see how I am connecting the dots here. China then viewed this as American influence and boom... Australia is now involved and is seen as siding with America. China subsequently reacted and here we are today in a tit for tat relationship with China. Don’t know how we are going to get out of this one. I just don’t want Australia to be hurt by following someone who clearly only cares about himself.

We also need to look at who is investing in Australia and it is mainly America (buying aussie businesses etc), however...who is buying our Aussie made ‘stuff’...it’s China and America is way down the list. So America is making money from us and yet don’t buy much Aussie stuff. Knowing this, I see the world a little bit different. If I am absolutely fair, then I would think it makes more sense to ask America to stop making so much money form Australia and go buy more of our goods to balance this out. It is a very unbalanced relationship.

If I was China, I’ll be asking, why are we buying so much Australian goods and yet we don’t make any money from them...

We also do need to diversify but would it not be smarter to grow within China and bring the money back to Australia? Get Aussies to go and sell to a 1.4 billion people market. My other question is, if we don’t sell to China, who will buy our goods? America certainly won’t. If we restrict selling to China, this means we will lose Aussie jobs. I don’t have a solution but I know I would rather keep jobs here than to lose them.

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2020
    Jmillar and Iamnumber5 like this.
  2. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

What are the chances that a major war may break out?

I get the impression the CCP are wanting to throw a lot of weight around but many countries in the neighbourhood will push back eventually.

3. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

^^^^ I worry most about this outcome :(

4. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I doubt it will come to this, look at where other superpowers have thrown their weight around, the usual result is in fighting amongst the countries affected and political instability.

5. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

No one knows but I don’t think either side (the old American empire or upcoming Chinese empire) have that much territorial ambitions. Both sides know there’s nothing to gain from outright direct conflict between two superpowers. If anything America has repeatedly demonstrated in the past 20 years that it has more interest in territorial reach (Afghanistan, Iraq, South China Sea) than China. Talk about throwing weight around?

6. Omnidragon

Your eggs are in one basket simply because of market forces. As I always say, if there were a better market, the big corporations would’ve gone there already. Not like we run a state controlled economy here. But yes I agree neither side should meddle in another’s affairs - and that goes both ways re Hk and Taiwan too.

7. IamsorryIamnotgood

IamsorryIamnotgood Well-Known Member

Very, very high in the context of what chance do we have of having a war. The rich in China are so rich and removed from normal life that the were mostly won't affect them and China is militarily dominant over the USA.

They know that they have the superior tech, that a conflict will likely be naval, that no nation has the man power to even invade China; so I think there will be a war and I think China will win it.

8. Someguy

Could say the same about the wealthy in any nation. Australia is closer to China than the US in the regard that the average person is reaping the rewards of the nation’s prosperity.

I really can’t see war happening, who in this region would go to war with China, to do so would just turn the region into a playground for China and the US to test weapons and flex muscles.

9. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

It's shockingly inept foreign policy (or lack thereof). There is no appreciable upside to gratuitously poking the bear, and we're quickly backing ourselves into a corner. It's fine to assert national interest but there is clearly no strategy behind this.

10. luckyP

luckyP Well-Known Member

lol I could not stop laughing, you made my day

grk349 and Bunbury like this.
  11. Someguy

Our whole political standing has gone anti China in a hurry! We are now offering HK residents currently in Australia the option to stay 5 years with the possibility of permanent residence.

Surely there are more worthy ‘refugees’ that should be prioritised but we have made this decision to show that we are against China. While the law has some grey areas the same could be said of national security legislation of many other countries.

12. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

That's the main motivating factor but also HKers tend to make good immigrants- most are highly skilled, hard-working and subscribe to democratic values.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You might want to check the definition of "refugee".

14. Omnidragon

I think it means people on iPhone 11s who go travel in Tokyo for shopping every 3 months. Plus the occasional night out in Taiwan for clubbing. And then stab police when they’re not happy property prices are high. Sounds like a great addition. Hmmmmm

15. Someguy

Whilst I am sure not all of the protesters are just violent versions of our smashed avo crowd it does pose the question. Will we accept those that are found to be involved in violence during the protests? Given the extradition treaty is gone any criminal that is already here is now ours to keep.

Interesting our government is calling for businesses to leave Hong Kong and relocate to Australia, would be great if it could happen but they would be more likely to move to another tax haven if doing business in HK became too hard.

16. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

This.

China needs our Lithium, rare earths and other minerals. They need our quality of life, clean air, space, land.

Why pay top dollar for assets when you can spend 12 months attempting to drive down prices, buy at a lower price, and then release the pressure

marty998 likes this.
  17. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

If one is from Hong Kong, you can stay for free now according to the PM :D

18. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Ask Bellamys how their China strategy worked out. Or Blackmores.

Or any other non-mining company. The modus-operandi is that you get forced into partnerships with local state owned/connected businesses. Your IP and trade secrets are transferred under the guise of “mutual learning”. A competitor is then set up to take your customers away, driving down the value of your venture, then you get a lowball takeover bid lobbed your way.

Then when you try and sell you get held up for years with regulatory approvals and you can’t get the money out anyway because of capital controls.

19. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Very high it seems.

Does the CCP hate us that much?
    Is their tech really that superior?

China's population is so densely packed in that any major conflict would be devastating for them also I would think.

20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member