China problem for property market?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by einentiva, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Chinese tourists are the ones that spend the most per person. I would be concerned if my household is involved in the tourism industry but thankful we are not

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Same
    However this will impact on many industries, it will have a ripple effect

3. Duck1234

Yes i agree but I think a lot of Australian are counting on the fact that China can't move away from Australian iron ore.

Yes, maybe now with Brazil being the way it is but fastforward a few months, i am not so sure.

We really need a smarter Prime Minister, neutrality is always the best policy.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

China's one belt one road initiative is their strategic takeover of all the small countries. It's becoming a reality.

you might be interested in this video.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Then there is
    Wine
    Diary
    Meat

Time will tell

I prefer we did not use the stick on China, its just not smart

US can do this and survive, we cant

Duck1234 likes this.
  6. Duck1234

Oh yeah completely agree, I won't touch shares like Treasury Wine and A2M for now. These things are pretty replaceable. Like milk can be sourced from NZ and wine from say France.

MTR likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is heavy, trying to get my head around it
    This guy would need a team of bodyguards after this

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Australia a dog! I dont know about anyone else but my blood boiled when I read that and I dont usually become upset when I read about China's shenanigans, ATM I am not proud of my part Chinese heritage ... :(

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

He already has security.

Brickbybrick and MTR like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its not the people that are messed up, its CCP

codeninja and Brickbybrick like this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I know that ... I am wondering how the Chinese community in Australia feels about what's happening, very uncomfortable I would think, sometime they are going to have to choose between China and Australia ... :eek:

12. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

It is terrible. I remember the same happened to the Japanese Americans in Hawaii during the Second World War. Some were 2nd/3rd/4th generation Americans of Japanese descent. They have nowhere to go back but being marginalised in the US as enemies. Terrible experience and I hope nothing like that will happen in Australia. :(

Brickbybrick likes this.
  13. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

It's not real fun being a caucasian in South Korea right now....

14. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

There might be a subliminal message in that, they might want to eat us like cannibals. ;)

15. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I have a close friend who is as Chinese as can be - born and bred Shanghainese. He is in touch with local feelings in China and he is embarrassed by CCP governance. Laymen Chinese in China are not happy with the CCP type of governance with cloak and dagger surveillance on its populace, bully arm tactics diplomacy and often shallow ethical approach to human problems. Local discontent will grow in tandem with the widespread unemployment spreading in the Chinese economy.

No doubt some Chinese in Australia may be still 'pinkish' on all matters Chinese, but non Chinese should not discount the evolution of Chinese views. Many Chinese have migrated to settle and thrive in democratic Australia and in the future many will continue to make Australia home for non CCP reasons - democracy, religion and lifestyle. So, in the future many of Chinese descent with sufficient financial means will choose for strategic reasons to migrate to Australia away from the suppressive political conditions in China, Hong Kong or even Taiwan.

Brickbybrick, C-mac, MTR and 4 others like this.
  16. truong

truong Well-Known Member

+1. Appalling behaviour by the CCP. If I didn’t know so many lovely Chinese people, wasn’t well-versed in Chinese culture and only followed the news, I’d have a really bad opinion of China.
    Agreed wholeheartedly, but it could take some time. My Chinese SIL took several years to wake up to the reality of the Tienanmen massacre. When he was a schoolboy he was so proud of his red scarf because he believed it was really dyed in the blood of CCP martyrs! When in Australia he still had this anger against the West and thought the time for revenge had come. He used to organise busloads of Chinese students to greet the big comrades visiting Australia and no doubt he was a CCP cadre. Fortunately since being with my daughter he slowly came to his senses.

My wife's nephew, also from the mainland, thought he was being patriotic by bombarding Mack Horton with online abuse. He too has come full circle by contributing to an apology fund for Mack.

On the real estate front though I think most investors from China have bought badly over the years. Limited to new buys, most of them bought OTPs as they fell victim to high pressure sales tactics by Chinese REAs, their own compatriots. There’s a particular high rise tower where a lot of landlords come from the same China townhship! Not hard to imagine what would happen when one of them starts offloading at a discount, especially when you know many got loans with fake proof of income.

Those who bought H&L packages would have done a bit better and those who built from scratch in established suburbs would come out the best. But overall, profit will be hard to come by.

I think Chinese investment in residential property will be more subdued than in the past, not because it’s too hard to get money out of China as some would believe or due to the current diplomatic stoush, but simply because Australian property isn’t great value any more. As CG looks problematic speculation and herd mentality will go out of the window and people will only buy if they’re really coming here to live.

Francesco likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Toon likes this.
  18. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Even more incentive for Hong Kong citizens to consider Australia as an option for getting out before things deteriorate even further.

From the above piece:

"The details of the proposed law go far beyond what was put forward in 2003. As well as criminalizing "treason, secession, sedition (and) subversion" against the central government, it will also enable Chinese national security organs to operate in the city "to fulfill relevant duties to safeguard national security in accordance with the law."

Expected to be passed by the NPC later this month and promulgated in Hong Kong soon after, the law will have drastic effects on whole swaths of Hong Kong society, from the city's garrulous and defiant political sphere to media, education and international business."

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Shame

HK one of my favourite places.

Toon likes this.
  20. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I think we're a while away from having to choose, but I may be wrong. There's lots of people in both countries - especially China - and there'll always be people who have red hot blood. A lot of people are equally pretty level-headed. Too much frontal conflict does no good in the end, history has repeatedly demonstrated that. If it's just about imposing one side's ideology on the other, that's pretty pointless. People will always have different ideologies - it's like asking Sanders Democrats to see the Tea Party's view. If it's about improving/maintaining living standards, then both countries are already doing that and have done it very successfully.

icic likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia