China problem for property market?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by einentiva, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. einentiva

einentiva Well-Known Member

In the news a lot lately. I am concerned about the worsening relationship between Australia and China on the Australian property market

Please discuss

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Residential wise it will only affect the OTP and brand new markets - so no major issue. Can't see it really making an impact on the "second hand" resi market....

Commercials - now there's a whole new different story. I'll look forward to @Scott No Mates @Beano and @Omnidragon to comment :)

The Y-man

zagi likes this.
  3. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Time to diversify the Australian economy. We're too reliant on one country. It's just common sense - it's very risky to keep your eggs in one basket.

truong, LibGS, Nicho and 8 others like this.
  4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Regardless of political rhertoic Australia is and will remain a great place to live.

Bunbury, truong, craigc and 2 others like this.
  5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Even best friends have feuds at times. It’s healthy to push back at times.

truong likes this.
  6. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

What we are seeing is .... tensions between US and China......since Morrison is a puppet.....he is having a go at China..... apparently Chinese leadership don't really care about Morrison that is why Andrew Forrest is getting involved....and getting some peace in between them....

gman65 likes this.
  7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

If you are worried about the affect of Chinese not buying in the market you are in the wrong market. Relying on just one factor for property growth is a recipe for disaster.

8. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

Clearly this isn't what the OP and thread is aiming for but talking to a local agent in the past week they mentioned they had a client that was putting a house up for sale to get out of Australia and take the funds back to China.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They'll need to park it elsewhere otherwise they'll never get it back out.

Soy, sumterrence and balwoges like this.
  10. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

If it means no more huge apartment builds then I am OK with it.

11. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

There are broadly two types of Chinese, those who believe in the Government and those who don’t. That is the same for Australians . For those who do, obviously they will be patriotic. For those who don’t and know the Government well, they will plan accordingly. I don’t think the Chinese are as herd-minded as we were led to believe. But of course if we lock them out, then it’s our own making.

Lets get real, among the English speaking world, Australia is the more Chinese friendly. And they know.

sqe, codeninja, truong and 7 others like this.
  12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Too early to see the sales trend but agents are telling me about "deals" falling over and I have been asked if I would be interested in putting in a offer.
    Suggestion from agent ...offer something between book value and failed offer price. (Listed property company)
    Again too early to see rental trends but I would say retail $m2 would fall.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Brickbybrick and Erida like this.
  14. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

On a more positive note:

Apartment sales: The chinese are back

"As the ambassador threatens that China might stop buying Australian meat and wine and sending students to Australia, in the property market the reverse is happening — the Chinese are back buying Australian apartments.

It’s a dramatic and surprising turnaround. While the buying is being executed by locals, they have close links to those on the Chinese mainland.

Early in the year, when the coronavirus was ravaging China, there was a sharp reduction in the Chinese buying of apartments in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Around six weeks ago, as the crisis eased in China, Australia emerged as one of the world’s best performing COVID-19 nations, increasing our attraction to Chinese property buyers."

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Cant open link?

16. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's behind a paywall - but I tried to quote the most important part.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks

Still need to soak up the oversupply. China wont save us, I cant see this happening

This is a link based on research, but this is prior to coronavirus ***** hitting the fan
    Top 10 Danger Zones for 2020

18. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I didn't say China would save us, but just trying to show that not all is doom and gloom.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sure I get what you mean:)

my concern is that I believe something like 35% of sales contracts are falling over at the moment, its just a sign of the times.

the topic is in relation to China and impact on property, but how our property market goes is dependent on our economy. If we end up with 10-15% unemployment, it will all head south regardless

Erida likes this.
  20. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Mtr do you see any possibility that we might get 10+% unemployment, but only for a few months, then it comes back to say around the 8-10 level as we have a recession?

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.