China Growing Influence

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Alain, 30th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

Any one concerned about this, they are still a totalitarian state that suppresses dissent. More and more of our politicians seem to be willing to sell their souls to keep China happy. Bending over backwards making allot of concessions.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes - have a read of the book 'silent invasion'.
    Chinese spys have been infiltrating Australian since the 1990s at least. Plus you have locals who are puppets of the chinese state.

Redwing likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Won't get many responses here - many still have to be careful about family members back home and we have our very own unabashed representatives right here in PC.

Brickbybrick and The Falcon like this.
  4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

The U.S has been spying on other countries for years and trying to influence governments all over the world .
    Toppled more than a few governments and put a few puppets up in their place , all in the name of democracy , and stuff buried in the ground or due to strategic locations.

Sure ,if people feel quite strongly about China we can stop trading with then and just go back to being the "white trash of asia".
    Not sure how that would affect our wealth if we stopped selling our iron ore to them and tried to find an alternative buyer, or they decided to go elsewhere.

5. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

There are lots of reasons to be concerned about China. Their antics in the South China Sea show how much they respect other nations or international law. Let alone their attitudes toward Taiwan, Tibet etc. As their economic and military power continues to grow there will no doubt be interesting times ahead. Hopefully we can stay onside with them.

Don't get me wrong I am talking about their political agenda, not the Chinese as a people. There are lots of Chinese individuals I have a great deal of respect for. Plus there are lots of Western countries that don't have the best track record either!

6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

It is concerning. And the fear among some of the Chinese community in Australia is staggering. I have a lot of friends who are either Chinese migrants or family. And some of them constantly talk about the abuse their relatives, parents and so on get in China.

7. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

Thats why the recent scam to chinese populace here has been so successful . Scammers ringing up claiming to be Chinese police asking students for payments of 'fees and penalties'. Scammers so convincing, that in one case their phone number traced back to be similar to what a local police in Shanghai could've had. Once they get some kid on the hook it escalated and asked the kids go somewhere a few days without contact with anyone. During that time scammers call the parents in China and ask for ransom payment. Get the kid to take selfies to send etc. Its pretty unbelievable but I think fear for authority/police and general acceptance of corruption helped this con

8. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

They must be calling a hell of a lot of people. 2 people in my office received calls today. Caller Id was for chinese embassy.

9. Terry_w

That reminds me I keep getting a sydney number calling my mobile with a recorded voice in Chinese. It starts off 'ni hao' and then rambles on for about 30 seconds before repeating again.

Anyone getting these calls?

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Not sure if it was from a Sydney number.... but I was getting something like that.

11. 738

738 Well-Known Member

It’s a scam pretending to be the Chinese embassy... google the number

Terry_w likes this.
  12. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

This must be one of the most prolific scams. The scale is quite impressive.

13. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Got one a while ago

14. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Is China becoming more influential? Definitely. Is it going to take over? I doubt it.

Australia is one of the least multi-cultural countries in the developed world so we have a long way to go in a lot of aspects.

15. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Business is the driver of this short termism. I’ve been following for years now but the speed of change has been a surprise. Broadly held ( in the West) expectations of the direction of China, towards liberalism have been totally wrong.

There is some very dodgy logic going around ; America bad, therefore China good. No, it’s not like that. In America there is rancorous discourse. It’s ugly, but that’s democracy. In CCP China there is Orwellian suppression and self censorship. Having visited a lot over the years, the slow move to a quite aggressive form of nationalism is apparent. I don’t know how this plays out, but we are in a fundamentally different strategic landscape and Pax Americana looks to be over.

A difficult place for an open, middle power to be in....we are very open to manipulation, look at the recent weaponised narrative around any criticism of CCP China being “racism”. Now nobody wants to talk about it for fear of being labeled, job done. Looking down the road a bit, I do have concerns..I expect a bumpier road ahead.

I wouldn’t want to be having to make decisions balancing trade and our long term national interests (sovereignty)...many sleepless nights in DFAT / Defence i would imagine.

WattleIdo, Alain and Blueskies like this.
  16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I thought it was one of the most multi-cultural countries in the developed world

[​IMG]

One in four of Australia’s 22 million people were born overseas; 46 per cent have at least one parent who was born overseas; and nearly 20 per cent of Australians speak a language other than English at home

“While the Census provides plenty of info on the ‘typical’ Australian, it also shows we’re a big, diverse community. There’s nothing typical about Australians.“ Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 Census.

2FAST4U and Lizzie like this.
  17. Terry_w

I did the last time, but nothing. Perhaps they are changing numbers now.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It depends on the criteria being used. Both answers are correct.

I did a quick Google, and I was surprised by the results. A search on "multicultural countries list" gives some very diverse results.

At the top of the list - The most (and least) culturally diverse countries in the world - a report which measured the cultural diversity of countries based on the diversity of languages spoken, which is supposed to reflect the cultural background. African countries with a large range of tribal groups ranked high. Canada was the only Western country in the top 20; Australia rated very low. Other reports with similar criteria put Papua New Guinea at the top of the list, with over 800 languages spoken.

A similar list puts Australia at position #140 based on linguistic diversity, but #10 based on ethnicity, religious and linguistic data.

Another report states that Australia is the most multicultural country based on the number of people born, or with parents born, in another country.

However, like the infographic shown, I question migrants from the UK and New Zealand being described as multicultural, with the ethnic background and language spoken being largely the same as ours (unless you count the overuse of "bro" or the funny way a New Zealander orders a six inch chicken fillet at Subway as another language).

I would have thought that Australia has become multicultural and multi-ethnic far more rapidly than many other countries, with the exception perhaps of Israel. It wasn't that long ago that Australia had a White Australia policy. Growing up in the 1960's there were very few non-English speaking Caucasian people around. Australia has become enriched by people from other cultures, in many ways.

2FAST4U and Redwing like this.
  19. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think as China becomes an advanced developed nation it will follow the path of Russia (only without an economic collapse on the way). Neighbors will suffer, and no one will be able to do anything about it. But overall it would be contained to the immidiate neighbourhood and the countries where Chinese make a large chunk of population like Singapore and Malaysia.

20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Sounds like a list based on idigenous languages, rather than acceptance of other cultures under the national umbrella. Canada will always put themselves first but we're way ahead of them. Sounds Canadian.

But the point is more about fear of speaking up about this being Australia and of Australian citizens having Australian values. Like saying anything about Australian values is now racist or at least, not allowed. Our inability to call a spade a spade (or a spy a spy) for fear of looking unsophisticated has paved the way to infiltration. Now even the relevance of dual citizenship amongst politicians is being questioned.:confused: As I heard someone comment: multicultural; not multi-national. Please

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2018
    The Falcon likes this.