Childcare benefits

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Ed Barton, 23rd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I've tried searching Centrelink, but the handouts seem to be a state secret.

How much do you get in govt handouts for having kids?
    Baby bonus?
    Maternity leave?
    Family tax benefit A, B?
    Childcare subsidies? Rebates?
    Anything I missed?

2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

No Baby Bonus now... It is called the Newborn Supplement

Dad and Partner Pay, Parenting Payment Single/Partnered, JET child care, Pensioner Education Supplement... You have missed heaps of them.

Oh and Carer's Allowance is a further $123.50 a f/t if your kids has exrta medical needs (diabetes, ASD ect)

Google 'Centrelink Rate Estimator'

Oh and don't forget the School Kids Bonus (recently phased out) and the supplements for Family Tax Benefit and Carer's Allowance...

I am probably missing some too!

3. legallyblonde

A single parent on a pension can earn 50k a year and still get a part pension for the parenting payment single and the MAX rates of FTB Part A and Part B. Not to mention max rates of child care.

4. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'm not interested, or eligible myself. Was just wondering how much the middle class who constantly complain about dole bludgers are sucking off the teat.

Seems like there are so many classes of handouts you need an accountant to help with the application.
    What's ASD?

bob shovel likes this.
  5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

How much does child care cost per day and does the government pay for some of it?
    How long can you leave kids in child care, 9-6pm?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Govt pays for 50% of childcare for regular families (and maybe more for low income earners).

Includes before and after school care too.

Barny likes this.
  7. legallyblonde

ASD: Autism.

Middle class is mostly just the Carer's Allowance, FTB, Child Care, Paid parental leave and dad and partner pay =)

8. legallyblonde

50% if both parents are working studying or training. If your income is less thank about 150k it is more... Can be a LOT more!

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Does the percentage change if only one parent works, and the mother stays home but still uses the child care services?

10. Weaver

Weaver Well-Known Member

If primary income is low, then partner can get 25 hours child care with child benefit and probably child care rebate too. It becomes an interesting question - I'd have to earn $25 an hour for about 25 hours a week to get ahead of what I'd lose in family tax benefits

11. legallyblonde

Sure does. The rebate exists to support families were BOTH parents are doing anapproved activity. If one parentdoesn't satisfy the work, study, training test, then they only get the child care benefit. e.g. income of 90 k means benefit of about $2 per hour. at 120kit goes down to about $I. stops after about 150k.

Barny likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow! never knew any of this and we have kids:oops:
    Might have to get googling

How much is day care?? So if both parents meet the criteria you'll get 50% off the fees?

The gov really wants the workers out there working and spending.
    Is it viable for both parents to work and have the kids in day care? Is it worth the refund and benefits? I thought a good chunk of the "second wage" would go to day care

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Generally not worth it imho. There's more to life than working and if the returns are marginal the non-cash/lifestyle benefits far outweigh working.

bob shovel and Joynz like this.
  14. legallyblonde

Hey Bob,

Hypothetical that you are BOTH working... The fees are 50% off (Child Care Rebate:CCR). If your combined wage is less than about 150k it will be a higher discount once you factor in Child Care Benefit (CCB) component.

Biggest factors for child care feasibility are:
    1) Lower income earner wage
    2) Cost of Full Fee Child Care (some suburbs are way more expensive than others to begin with)
    3) Number of Children
    4) Age of Children

It is very feasible for the second parent to return to work if there is only one child. Many centres are about $100-120 a day. If you family income is over $150k then you still only pay $50-$60 a day (even less if income under $150k). Once you have two or more children though it gets significantly less feasibly. Age of the children is relevant, as most before and after school programs are approved for the CCB/CCR and are generally less than $100 it is even more feasible. OBVIOUSLY the less the initial fees are the better (shop around).

If I was you.. I would get a quote from a local centre for their daily fee... If you are both working/studying/training (hypothetical) then you know it is a 50% fee reduction. This discount can be paid directly to the centre (direct to service) to help with affordability during the year or you can pay the full fees and get reimbursed quarterly or annually (lots of PC users do this to get HEAPS of credit card points).

Oh and KEEP IN MIND the CCR (50% discount) is capped at $7,500 per year per child! So if you are using child care for the full year full time then it is likely your CCR will run out before the end of the year. So part-time can be more appropriate.

Check out the Departments website =)

Any questions? =)

Barny and bob shovel like this.
  15. legallyblonde

Lots of new parents are VERY keen to get back to work as they miss using their brain and engaging with adult human beings! I know, I know, staying home and changing nappies is a great lifestyle and I agree it should be a solely financial decision. But lots of people want to work but don't because of the expense of child care.

Mooze likes this.
  16. bob shovel

Wow thanks @legallyblonde ! I wonder what industry you work in. ...:D

We never looked into it properly as we'd heard some of the prices and rebates from friends and did some numbers crunching and it just didn't seem worth it. We had always planned to only have one of us working prior to having kids anyway and to make it work. Plus my wife does shift work so we could still both work without needing child care.
    We are just looking into it now for a couple of days pw for the learning and simulation side for one... and a breather for us:cool: but i don't see it as an essential thing. We've looked into home schooling etc etc and the old "they won't make friends or have the interaction" is ********!

But it blows me away when i hear of people dropping their kids for long days mon-fri or especially if a parent has a day off or sickie but still drops them at day care:mad:

And you were going so well till i got to this bit!
    I know you're not a fan of kids so i can wear that:p but holy **** they've taught me a thing or two! Big life direction change for me and pre conceived career idea's out the window now!... And I'd rather work my own kids and their **** than put up with the adult versions!

I can see the flip side to people wanting to go back to work but parents-to-be need to realise there will be compromises. Your life literally changes the minute that baby falls out!

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bob shovel - if you have committed to sending a kid to day care for 3 days/week, you must pay whether they attend or not (or if you're at home, you're still obliged to send the kid).

18. bob shovel

Really? Wow they're as ruthless as insurance companies :eek:
    But if you're only seeing the kids on weekends and sleeping you'd wear that cost for the day. I would:cool:
    I think we're trying to have our cake and eat it too. Seem to be pulling it off so faro_O

legallyblonde and Joynz like this.
  19. legallyblonde

Yeah. You have your 'days' that you are booked for.. You pay for those days if the kid attends or not. Oh and if your kid is sick they will send it home lol. Benefits will still be paid for non-attendance, but only up to 42 days in a financial year. After that any non-attendance is full fees (no subsidies).

20. legallyblonde

You can also looking into Family Day Care providers... Same subsidies.. But SOME are more flexible and generous with regards to fee structures and charging for absences.