Cherie Barber's renovation and Bob Anderson's Development Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by catherine9346, 9th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. catherine9346

catherine9346 Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and new to Australia as well.
    During the past few months, I have been educating myself about properties in Australia as my next move would be buying a property to live in or rent out.
    I have been to Stuart Zadel's Ultimate Property conference and I am interested in Cherie Barber's Renovating for Profit 3-day bootcamp and Bob Anderson's Development Bootcamp.
    I know a lot of experienced investors in this forum have been to their bootcamps. Please kindly share your thoughts about those courses.
    Also if you are interested in their bootcamps as well , I am looking for partner to join their programme to save some money,Please contact me and may be we can arrange something together.
    Many Thanks .
    Catherine

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @catherine9346. It's a fantastic place to learn from and network with other like minded investors.

With regards to the courses you mentioned I've done both and personally I feel they are decent courses to attend if someone isn't extremely money tight and wants to invest only a few thousand into a decent course. I know people who have done Bob's course and are now onto their 3rd or 4th development, and I know others who did it and still haven't started 1. The course its self won't make you, you have to make it work for you. But long story short, I do believe its a good starting point with decent info and some good contacts recommended.

Having said that I don't know what experience you have with property investment so keep in mind property development is probably one of the more advanced strategies and if someone is a total newbie to property investment then it can be a bit much to start with. Also it often requires more finance to start a project than to buy an IP.

Good luck

pinewood, JenW and Blueskies like this.
  3. catherine9346

catherine9346 Member

Hi Leo2413,Thank you very much for your reply. Yes,I have realised that Property development is not that easy to start with. And probably I should do Cherie Barber's course first. Any insights on Cherie's course?

4. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on doing Cherie's course in the near future, I have a work college that has done it and he highly recommends it.

5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Would suggest figuring out the investing strategy piece first.

Don't know a lot about what they offer, however I'd rather invest those funds in a few good books before that.

MTR likes this.
  6. joel

joel Well-Known Member

It's not hard to fix up a house, you don't need to pay some muppet a couple grand to tell you that. Get in there and have a go, make a few small mistakes, you'll be better off for it..

Hanison and SOULFLY3 like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its a decent course and quite comprehensive for the serial reno and flip investor. Is it essential to do well with reno'ing? No not essential but a good resource if you can afford it.

I agree with @MsAli that if you haven't already, before doing any course first buy some good property investment books and learn the basics and then you can hone in on certain strategies and build on that knowledge. In my opinion this is how I would go about it.

1. Buy some IP books and learn the basics (there definitely are basics to be learnt)
    2. Determine your goals. Using the SMART framework to write up your goals and plan is a great way to start.
    3. Choose a strategy or strategies that you think fits your own goals and start from there.
    4. If need be, hone in on specific knowledge that relates to your chosen strategy.
    5. With time and experience you'll learn how to refine, adjust, better negotiate etc to keep working towards your goals.

But you have to start somewhere and for me the best place to start is always by investing say $100 bucks and buy a few recommended books. Inconjunction with books, the forum is a great place to learn from, share ideas, get feedback, avoid mistake by listening to others and networking with great people.

Good luck.

House and Property Twins like this.
  8. Moych

Moych Well-Known Member

Here's a few to get you started:
    Book list

Db73 and pinewood like this.
  9. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

You can buy Cherie's course DVDs second-hand off some places. I've watched most of the course DVDs (older year workshop but still relevant) and thought it was excellent; it also convinced me that "renovating for profit" isn't for me and definitely not for most people. Well worth the watch for that conclusion alone. Lest you think I'm bagging the course, I'm most definitely not; it has great reno tips but more importantly it runs through the numbers very well (numbers > renovating skills).

Ambit and Sackie like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am now up to my 5th development project, started 3 years ago, no clue whatsoever when I started, and have still so much to learn. They have all been successful to date, fingers crossed it continues this way.

I will stress the importance of getting your hands dirty, which means learning from experience and mistakes, and networking with the right professionals and investors this is critical and by this I don't mean Bob Anderson etc.

This wont cut it unfortunately, because the most important factor with developing is to understand the product, what buyers want, the market conditions when you are buying and these people wont be able to tell you this. They may regurgitate some spin on where the cycle is but once again its not good enough, its not at micro level.

My advice to anyone wanting to develop is to start small, ie land and house package, build at the rear of a property and then work your way up.

Just as critical is to understand what structure you need to purchase under, because if you don't do this you will be paying far too much tax, get yourself a good accountant and don't ignore this one.

MTR:)

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's it. Imo renovating and making a profit on a consistent basis is all about numbers, from the property to the specs. It's definitely not easy and takes serious commitment.

12. catherine9346

catherine9346 Member

Hi Leo, Many thanks for your advice. This forum is so helpful with members like you.

13. catherine9346

catherine9346 Member

Hi MTR, Great advice ,much appreciated. Thank you very much.

14. catherine9346

catherine9346 Member

Thanks a lot Moych. Looks like I got a lot of reading to do.

15. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

@MTR is your story posted somewhere here or SS? really love to read and learn. thanks!

AngelicaS likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have posted 2 development projects on PC, Thomastown, 4 townhouses and recent project Croydon, Melb, 3 townhouses

On SS, Spearwood and Kardinya project both in Perth, both sold, 3 villa development and a Kardinya, corner property where I cut up the block and sold off 2 front blocks

Have mentioned Broadmeadows, Vic, sold - 8 unit site, put together DA/approved plans and permits and sold off - search on SS

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2016
  17. ad1980

ad1980 New Member

Hi SerenityNow - can you suggest some places where you can purchase her DVD's second hand? Or would you be willing to sell your copy?Thanks! :)

18. Sydneysummer

Sydneysummer Well-Known Member

How do you gain the property development knowledge and skills before you start your first property development ?
    Thanks

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Networking with developers

Start with small projects, could start woth a simple build at rear