Cherie Barber lists 1890s Leichhardt record setter

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Redwing, 20th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

If you want a sticky-beak at the property

Renovator Cherie Barber has her 1890S Leichhardt investment property listed for September 5 auction.

The property listed by Cobden & Hayson agent Ben Southwell is expected to challenge the suburb's current $3.05 million record.

The Victorian-era house is a restored five-bedroom home on 410 square metres which Barber bought in April 2008 for $950,000. It had been listed with $1,129,000 hopes at March 2008 auction.

RE.COM.AU Link

WattleIdo, Perthguy and Azazel like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I could live in that ;).

Please let us know what it sells for.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's not far away from me, I might go for a ride and have a looksie on the weekend.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's looks impressive but I'm not blown away by it.
    First the photographer didn't dothe best job, photo 4 "close up of light" poor choice. And using black and white shouldn't be done for a house your trying to sell and give an accurate picture, it's not a photo comp.

As for styling not a fan of using the same stone in the bathroom and kitchen, the rooms should be kept separate. The bathrooms had to many tile types and colours plus the addition of wood made it feel "messy". Maybe she got some great deals from the building yards! Shouldn't be done in a high end place like that though. And no TV in the bathroom, or hide it. Adds that boganesq touch

WattleIdo and Susan like this.
  5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

This is the new trend in real estate photography. I believe BresicWhitney popularised it. Shallow depth of field, photos focusing on homewares not homes, close ups, direct-in-font shots etc. Seems to work for them but it's all "form over function".

I'd prefer photos showing the property properly, not its furnishings.

Still, it seems to work.

KayTea, Susan and Esh like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Maybe she gets a job lot of the materials and uses the same stuff on different places. She has mentioned she has a colour palette that she reuses from one property to the next.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think you can have both types of photos, especially for such a high end property. It probably works because they are "selling the dream". Things will look different when empty, but the lights and fittings stay, so I don't mind the trend. We've all come to expect this high end lighting, panelled walls etc after watching too much of The Block :D.

8. bob shovel

I guess throw in some arty farty shots to make it look like a magazine but put them to the end of the order. You can still get amazing photos with out distorting the shot

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I could very easily live there ... although would possibly cut down on the number of materials used in feature walls.

Let us know what it goes for!

10. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ouch.
    "Celebrity renovator Cherie Barber missed the mark on Saturday. The Leichhardt house she expected would bring a $1 million profit failed to sell at auction."

12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I guess this promo for Cherie didn't work for her. Still excellent work on the renovations.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You would think with all of the marketing and exposure it would have sold if it was at the right price point.
    Was that the exact moment the Sydney market turned?

bob shovel likes this.
  14. bob shovel

Might have left it a few months to late to put it on the market, or the boganesq' chic look isn't what people are after

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Even as an experienced developer she hasn't removed the emotion from the deal. The preauction offer was $50k short of what CB wanted. Seriously - how long before she swallows her pride? or is she going for the street record?

16. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Yeah she has a few colour palettes. Not sure about now, but few years ago she used to get her stuff from graysonline. I think shes done well and her renos look great. I have heard all the horror stories of shortcut stories, but who doesnt like taking short cuts here and there. As for pride, if i had achieved what she has acheieved i would be proud too

17. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Ad now says it sold this past Saturday for $3,060,000.

18. Danieljk101

Danieljk101 Well-Known Member

I could live there quite happily...

19. bob shovel

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/ente...est-record-price/story-fni0cvc9-1227527028953

"IT took a week of negotiations but celebrity renovator Cherie Barber secured her desired record Leichhardt residential price.

Her renovated and extended cottage was passed in on a vendor bid of $3.05 million at early September auction — and sold seven days later at $3.06 million late Saturday night.

The Cobden Hayson agency sale bettered the inner west suburb record by $10,000."

I didn't know it took a week for brown paper bags to be delivered :cool:
    Conveniently tipped the record for some media interest

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Haha, some healthy scepticism ;)

bob shovel likes this.