Cheque deposit via banking app - who knew? (probably everyone)

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by wylie, 21st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Well, I feel silly.

I found a cheque in my purse from June last year. Because our local branch has closed, I've tried a few times (unsuccessfully) to deposit via other bank's deposit ATMs. I've just put it away, and forgotten about it until I found it again a few days ago. I tried a NAB ATM this week, no luck, wouldn't work. Might have not been a deposit ATM. And I'm not driving all the way to a Westpac branch just to deposit a cheque.

I was unable to sleep last night and without searching specifically for this, read something about being able to deposit through a banking app, by taking a photo of it.

Lightbulb moment, soon overtaken by a nightmare that I couldn't stop analysing this morning. I thought of it again just now and have just done my first cheque deposit via app.

Just putting it here in case there is anyone else out there who didn't realise this was "a thing".

Millie, Propin, number 5 and 7 others like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Lmao I have a cheque that needs depositing too and was wondering how I do it since the only Bankwest is 15km’s from me. Thanks

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Good to know this.

4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

You can deposit checks at post office too.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or post it to a branch with a deposit form

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@wylie I didn't but checked my WBC and I can there, but cannot do so with ING

Westpac customers can now deposit cheques via mobile

geoffw likes this.
  7. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I figured this must have been a thing, but sadly can't find such an option in my Commbank app. Would love to be wrong!

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

CBA are usually ahead of the curve when it comes to their app functionality and usability.

However, I wonder if their tardiness in this case is related to their slap on the wrist for their fancy ATMs which allowed money laundering via cheque deposit.

qak and jaybean like this.
  9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Maybe this is why Bankwest doesn't have it either. I just tried to deposit a BW cheque but couldn't find it :(

10. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

You should be able to do it on line it is decades old technology. Click on deposit cheques and enter details. You will need to print the deposit slip and post it to your bank. The Cheques need to be less than 15 months old should be cleared within 3 days of deposit slip being received. A better way will be to deposit it at a Post Office they use technology that is not decades old and you funds should appear instantly and be available soon after, At least the Australia Post CEO's earnt their gold watches. The banks too concerned on paying out dividends than investing in updating and improving services.

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I thought the issue with those was cash deposits? The machines counted the cash, it was real, but they didn't meet the Austrac requirements. And the $ could be withdrawn from overseas immediately.

I think the ATM cheque deposits have always still had a hold period.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The CBA issue was with cheque deposits where the funds were available immediately and could then be moved offshore without any further checks.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I thought post office only took deposits for Commbank? I need to get out more. :D

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The CBA machines were accepting huge CASH deposits. Tens and hundreds of thousands at a time and often many many envelopes for the same accounts each exceeding the max and all of which did. AUSTRAC alleges that CBA didn't limit the number of transactions a customer could make per day, and that its (Smart) Intelligent Deposit Machines were installed to replace bank staff and allowed up to 200 notes per transaction and multiple times per account per day. None were reported.

IDMs also allowed anonymous cash deposits, so it wasn't long before the system was abused by criminals.For a criminal, that means you could potentially put millions of dollars through a machine in one day anonymously. And data subsequently produced showed that occcurred. CBA smart ATM deposits rose exponentially vs any competitor. Criminals exploited the vulnerability because the money appears instantly, a user can immediately transfer the money to another account – say, one that exists offshore.

Cheques have no maximum reporting value. That said a bank can and may report unusual deposits and transfers anytime under AML laws (Anti terrorist & money laundering). CBA didnt.

CBA machines still had to clear cheque deposits but the "laundering" occurred on cash deposit as subsequent movement of "cleaned" funds could have been (and was alleged to include) individuals and entities of dubious repute. Cash was straight to the customer account, This is why deposits of cash as well as cash "movements" across borders are reportable.

AUSTRAC made a number of allegations against the Commonwealth Bank in its civil proceedings.The most significant is that the bank failed to flag more than 53,000 transactions over the $10,000 limit that passed through the smart ATMs over three years. It seems the CBA admitted whoever installed the machines back in 2012 simply didn't realise transactions above $10,000 had to be reported, and never wrote the code.

Last edited: 22nd Feb, 2021
    chylld likes this.
  15. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Over 70 different banks and institutions! Can do cash withdrawals, deposits, bank cheque deposits. I live at my post office. I definitely need to get out more :D. Usually there’s a JP there to sign my documents as well. It’s a one stop shop!

wylie and Redwing like this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Aust Post are the banks best friend. Now when they close branches they offer a plan B. We have had three banks all close local branches and their answer is - use the post office. My own branch has moved so many times I cant tell you what suburb it is...Its nowhere nearby.

You just have to run the gauntlet of reject shop items and they are always understaffed because people think you must queue to buy postage labels and post packages.
    You can prepay and print them at home !! Print postage labels and in ebay. Walk in and drop it off.

Shazz@ likes this.