Chemical barrier for termites

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by SydneyInvestor, 9th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Looking for some help on the results from pest control.
    I have been advised that live termites have been found in garden and tree stumps/logs in backyard. Though the termites have not been found in the house building. But inspector has suggested a full chemical barrier using termidor for prevention of termites and treatment for current termites. The invoice suggested for the same is approx $2600

Has someone faced this issue earlier and is it really required to get this thing done. Also, if it is required then would there be any issues if I delay it in case termites effect house building. The house is very old 1978 build, but it seems termites have been limited to garden and tree stump only.

Thanks!!

2. SydneyInvestor

Jut forgot to add, agent would ask present owner to treat the active termites and he might get it done...otherwise I could get it done ....the main question is regarding the requirement of chemical barrier...

3. eng

eng Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hesitate to get a qualified Termidor applicator particularly as you've spotted termite activity. The chemical will have a 'transfer effect' that is it gets passed on and destroy any termite activity.
    I had two of my Brissy property done. If there is some termite activity, I would try and get the owner to pay for treatment, or perhaps go 50/50.
    $2600 seems a lot, how big is your land and building?

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  4. SydneyInvestor

Thanks @eng
    The land is 612sqm. He is aking 2200$ for chemical and 350$ for active treatment. Owner might pay for treatment, still in discussion but still it is around 2200 from my pocket.

5. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of chemical barrier after termites simply went straight past it in large QLD complex, we were told by large well known co that "recent extremely heavy rain may have caused the barrier to fail" I think the bait stations were better as at least you had a visual of activity then throw in some "red bull for termites" to take back to the nest.

SydneyInvestor and WattleIdo like this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Nish

This sort of thing can be used to negotiate pricing tweaks. Speak to your legal representative.

Logs, treestumps etc should be treated and then removed. Roots and all. The only sort of timber that is welcome in landscaping is treated pine.

The pricing you have been quoted is about standard for a house. Be aware that the product normally claims/guarantees to protect the dwelling for a certain number of years, but there is usually a provisor that you get annual termite inspections done in order for the guarantee to be valid.

SydneyInvestor and househuntn like this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

About right for Termidor - I was quoted $2640 inc. GST with 8 years warranty as long as yearly inspection is carried out
    Another provider is using Fipronil and the quote is $2K with 6 years warranty as long as yearly inspection is carried out

8. FirstTimeBuyer

FirstTimeBuyer Well-Known Member

I had my property treated with a chemical barrier recently for about $2000. It's a 615sqm property but treatment was only done around the house.

The chemical used was Termidor, and I found out today that they provide a $2m warranty if there are any structural dmg as long as you've been conducting yearly inspections.

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

As long as they're happy in your yard you know they're not eating the house. The garden variety are a different mob to the ones who eat the house but can set up the tunnels etc for the others to use. A baiting system at 1.6K will get rid of the colony. Annual inspections to follow.

10. SydneyInvestor

Thanks all. It seems that it is really important to get the chemical barrier or baiting thing done and can't be escaped :)
    Let me try to split the cost between the seller and myself.

Can anyone please suggest the cost of the baiting if done by you previously. Any contacts doing baiting or barrier with termidol would also be appreciated.

Thanks

11. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

Better to contact larger companies in my opinion but do read every word of their contract as the wording can be very much in their favour in some respects. ie one line may say that they Will cover and replace timber frames damaged by termite activity. However another line 4 pages in way down the bottom may say we will Not repair or replace any damage to timber wall frames where termites may have entered through concrete slab cracks and pipe penetrations.
    Look also at their inspection "promises" and very closely at any reports after these inspections...sometimes they do not make any sense and clearly show that not all was inspected.