Checking builder licence

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by hash_investor, 1st Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi, do you guys check for builder licence when purchasing a new IP? I am looking at a potential buy in MBR and the B&P report mentioned checking builder licence is a good idea. I know I can do a council search and find out who the builder was but it is not a normal process as part of conveyancing.

Have you ever done that? The building is fine otherwise and in good condition.

2. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

Nah i never bother unless there appears to something of concern. Get on the ASIC website and do some checks if your concerned

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do you mean purchasing a new IP, as in a brand new IP? I would check the builder licence for sure.
    I've had a bad experience with a B&P inspection company not being licenced, I would check that for sure as well.
    Doesn't seem like a big deal, but they may not be covered by insurance for one thing.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

B&P inspectors are no longer required to have any qualifications in NSW (changed a few years ago).

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Right on.
    This was in QLD.
    Operating with a cancelled licence.
    QBCC matter still ongoing.