Check out Margaret River

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 2nd Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

One of my favorite spots, anyone ????

Maybe I am biased but I would say this area has most spectacular coastline......and so much more ......World class wineries ....and so much more.....

Recomnend
    Palmers wines
    Great food

Cherubinio wines, for chardony
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cheribino.wines&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:3441712993140515335,rc_q:Larry%20Cherubino%20Wines,ru_q:Larry%20Cherubino%20Wines

Not surprised.... numero uno

WA voted the BEST holiday destination in the Asia Pacific region | Daily Mail Online

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2019
    ellejay likes this.
  2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Don't want to offend anyone, but I found the area completely underwhelming to be honest. Went to Perth, Freo, drove down to Margaret River and raced in a 4 day mountain bike stage race (The Capet to Cape) form Cape Leeuwin to Cape Naaturliste (or vice verso, can't remember). Sure, nice sceneray but that was about it. Not much of anything else.

Perth was OK for a day out, Cottlesloe I though was massively over rated. I really liked Freo. Margaret River I thought was a poor cousin to the Morning Peninsula only there's a whole heap more to do within driving distance of the peninsula than MR. Didn't float my boat I'm afraid, and I doubt I'd ever head West again.

Shogun likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is so weird I just got back recently from mornington and was so disappointed with the wineries and in general thought it was so over rated compared to south west WA winery region.
    Preferred Yarra Valley
    Perhaps I missed something??

Whatever floats your boat

I wont argue with Lonely Planet

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2019
  4. Propagate

Familiarity plays a big part in these things too I guess @MTR on some level we always compare where we are to what we know. The feeling of isolation over the West bugged me too much I think.

Archaon likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree.....I was only referring to Margaret River, South West.

Perth is totally another beast, Perth is going through major downturn the city is very much lack lustre atm. A different story in 2001-2007

Off topic for a moment
    whats your thoughts on Barwon Heads???

6. Propagate

I've never been there, not a massive fan of that general area (I do like Apollo Bay which is a lot further around the coast though). having said that, I haven't been to Apollo Bay for 7-8 years either.

We used to do the Ferry from time to time from Sorrento to Queenscliffe, but stopped going as Queenscliffe was getting more and more deserted every time. It was like a ghost town last time we went with every other high street shop/restaurant having a for sale sign in the window.

7. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Love Margaret River

MTR likes this.
  8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I remember we planned a trip to the Mornington Peninsula a couple of years ago. Sat in nose to tail traffic for an hour or so, parked up and did a quick walk on a drab looking beach. There were caravans parked the length of the road in and out. Turned around and drove out again. I love Vic but missed what's so good about MP.

Now WA, I've spent the last 8 years exploring. It's truly stunning, unspoiled, magical. Each to their own.

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2019
    MTR likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Enjoyed visiting the SW of WA, as well as other parts of the state.
    Shame it is so far from Qld.
    Cheaper and quicker to visit NZ.
    Marg

MTR likes this.
  10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

This is definitely a thing. After we travelled the East Coast, it took me a bit to be okay with being so far away from everything. But then life just settles in and it's okay.

I do still dislike that about WA...but I love the SW, it's beautiful. And up north is stunning too....just so remote!

MTR, Propagate and Propin like this.
  11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Planning to visit the area next year. Seeing that it is only 12 degrees there today I will definitely be visiting in the warmer months!
    The surf, eateries and wineries look terrific.
    Haven't been down the West coast since 1986, so looking forward to seeing all the changes.

MTR likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am at Wine tasting at Wise Wine Eagle Bay W
    Google Eagle Bay

13. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Extremely popular area over summer as great spot popular for swimming & paddle boarding in the river mouth near the bridge. Also surf beach options, popular for bike riders (Cadel Evans local). Main strip area growing but not necessarily cheap until more supply of shops/food outlets comes online. Close proximity to Geelong & Melbourne makes it pretty easy to get to.
    Very popular since the ABC Seachange series was based there a number of years ago. Very nice though very popular.

Across the bridge Ocean Grove is much larger & has more options food / shopping but more hilly and not as cool / hipster etc. Based more around beach than Barwon River options. Still extremely popular tourist spot however.

Mornington Peninsula around Red Hill very popular winery area, once you reach the end of recently added Peninsula Link & then MP feeeway traffic can be challenging. Yarra Valley probably slightly ahead for best winery regions of Victoria but close.
    Sorrento & close by beaches popular with clear waters, views & stand up paddle boarders. Nice shops / food options before going on to uber rich playground of Portsea. Would suggest checking out the NP at Portsea with WW1 history there, boats coming through the heads, Cheviot Beach (Harold Holt) etc.

Hope that’s not info overload / dribble and your comment wasn’t directed for an IP analysis! :)