Travel & Holidays Cheapish ideas for winter in the sun

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Crocs are not a big problem in built-up areas, unless there's a been a load of rain/cyclone that has blown them (or their food) off course. They prefer mangroves, mouth of rivers etc. They're not a big fan of beaches.

A croc in Tiaro? Far too inland and too south. Must have been in a zoo.

Cairns probably wouldn't suit the OP. Sounds like their after a lay on the beach, do nothing holiday. That's not Cairns.

2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yes I'd look at house sitting. There are some that are long term and they are usually the ones that are hard to fill. I'm starting a list of places to live cheaply for at least a month at a time myself but I want to be on the beach. Overseas is the way to go for me.

Harro and ellejay like this.
  3. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

How does Tioman Island compare for price?

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

True, time away from the stinky humans.

ellejay likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Tell that to the cranky female croc we saw in the creek in a new development North of Townsville a few years ago - she didn't seem too worried that the houses were 50m away. Kids would have been splashing around in that creek. New houses within view. And tell that to the crocs they regularly see off the beaches at Cairns and Townsville, they might not know what you think they should be doing ;)

Maybe contact the Courier Mail and let them know that you reckon they're wrong:
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...th-in-queensland/story-fnn8dlfs-1227460731928

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2015
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

7. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Lacrim. Was it difficult to get to?
    We have stayed at the Nexus resort in Karambunai in Kota Kinabula, which is also on the South China Sea. Thinking this may be similar.
    However, it wasn't $40 a night!

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It was a little - 3 hr bus ride from downtown Singapore to Mersing in Malaysia from recollection, then a ferry/motorboat for an hr and a half - that bit was pleasant. Bit scary on return journey though because boat was absolutely chockers.

Still, if we're after a cheap beach hit, it's Asia all the way - we loove Bali, been back more than 10 times over the years. 3 months in QLD, be it Sunshine Coast or FNQ doesn't attract us the way a hot, tropical Asian beach does. You get so much more for your money in terms of weather, food, hotel, culture, etc. No contest.

Harro likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty good.
    Not trying to say which is better, but just as a comparison, we stayed at places in Santorini that were about US$20-25/night when our dollar was close to equal in 2012 and 2013. Stroll to the beach, cheap cocktails.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Damn, $25 a night...in Europe? Was it a rat infested hostel? Gotta be a shared bathroom arrangement surely, or shared bed :eek:

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That was for the weekly rate, but no, it was fine. Clean enough, pretty quiet. Had a little kitchenette and bar fridge. Private bathroom. Little family owned villas.
    I remember because we thought it was pretty awesome paying the same for a week in Santorini as we did for 1 night in Zurich.

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2015
    Gockie likes this.
  12. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

You could join a house swapping company. They have house swaps all over the world for as long or short as you require

Azazel likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's a good idea for some people.
    I wouldn't mind house sitting somewhere too.