Cheapie house in Brisbane or Unit in Melbourne - Which one ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by See Change, 3rd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Ignoring holding costs, What would you buy for maximal short term gain ( 2- 5 years ) ?

Poll closed 3rd Dec, 2015.
  1. Cheap house in outskirts of Brisbane

28 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Cheap unit , middle / inner ring of Melbourne

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. bernardblack

bernardblack Active Member

I am surprised to hear that your friend having problem selling a ttownhouse in Kew. Can't really compare apartment with townhouse imo. There are way too many apartment in Melbourne. It really surprise me the other day when I saw apartment building in weribee. Better off buying a house with land there. But seeing so many developer building townhouses around Melbourne, may be townhouse is having a oversupply too??

2. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Are we referring to Melbourne units being "units" or "villas" as per NSW/QLD definitions? Don't they mix these terms up south of the border?

I remember speaking to an agent earlier this year who said most urban developers are now building townhouses instead of villas so they can maximise profits come sale time but those townhouses are unsuitable for renting out to people with disabilities and the elderly since they're full of stairs. The same issue obviously applies to units unless there's a lift in the building. Since villas are ground floor only this then becomes the only viable "cheaper than a house" rental option. I probably put more weight on this than some others here as my mum is in a wheelchair but it'd be interesting to hear from the developers on the forum to confirm if many are still building villas or not. If villas are going to become more scarce then this could present an opportunity.

Kangaroo likes this.
  3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

he subdivided land in kew before the restrictions came out to build but not sure why his build was ok. he did offload it in the end but said he should have just kept it as it and sold without doing anything. Sometimes it involves luck, timing etc. werribee? crazy you can get landed units there for 250K. i know in pt cook they had they had an apartment building and it sold out as well. I suppose things are getting expensive and salaries aren't actually going up. The friend i said who bought in camberwell had to get a 95% home loan to get a 2 bedroom villa unit.

bernardblack likes this.
  4. bernardblack

bernardblack Active Member

To me villa is a small detach property that sits in a block with other villas. Developers are getting smarter, i see townhouse built with 1 bedroom and a bathroom at ground level and another room upstairs.

5. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Cliff, are you looking at well located 1 bedders or 2 bedders in the middle ring suburb in Melbourne?
    I see 2 bedroom single level units (not walk up apartment) that do sell for 300-330kish in Melbourne but they are like 15km from the city which is still considered middle ring.
    What is is the sort of distance from the CBD are you looking at and is your budget a strict budget of 250-300k?

Similarly, when you say outskirts of Brisbane, what sort of distance are you looking at from the CBD?

6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Looking at options at the moment .

We made offers on two in Brisbane and one has been accepted . We recently made an offer on a regional property which was rejected , but they've just lowered their asking price ( it's been on the market for over a year ) and we're going to make a slightly increased offer on that . SWMOBO had another look at that today along with another place we bought subject to inspection in the same town . If that gets accepted , we might try and pick one more up in Brisbane and then have a break until brisbane moves

cliff

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

How many have you picked up in Brissie this cycle..I only managed 4....buy total of 6 there..I have stopped for the moment..I think there has been a little pause in Brissie also...