Cheapest possible hot water service (Melbourne) ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Anthony Brew, 8th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Hi,

I got a call from my agent in Melbourne that the hot water service had burst.
    Got a quote including installation for $1900

I asked her to get get 2 more quotes, and to ask what the absolute cheapest one is to install since I want to sell the property in the next couple of years.

She came back with $1270 from another company
    I asked her to ask what the absolute cheapest one was and they said $1130.
    That's already $770 off the original quote.

I am thinking of just calling around myself, but I have no idea how to find one online to call up .. does anyone have any ideas?
    Or any other cheaper ideas/solutions since as I said, I will be selling the property in the next couple of years?

Last edited: 8th Feb, 2019
  2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

How many people live in the house ?.
    The smaller units that are only designed for one or two people are quite cheap , but are useless in 2 bathroom houses with 4 or more people living there.

3. Anthony Brew

It only has one bathroom.
    When you say cheaper, can you give a ballpark for price and size (litres)?

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The cheapest hot water service in Melb is likely the one at your IP :p

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Cheapest electric 250L is a Rinnai for $736 but thats supply only. vs gas at $1300+ Source : Appliances Online

Add costs for mods to copper etc for install by a plumber ? They quoted $95 for install and free delivery to Melb (with take away old unit) but it doesnt explain if its extra for mods to the existing copper or not.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Found a few buy and install services on ebay..... didn't try them but....

The Y-man

7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Bosch instantaneous are about the cheapest,they start from the 10P for 1-2 person households ,13 P for slightly larger households and so on.
    Then you have to decide on nat gas ,LPG or electric .
    Once you go up to Rinnai ,Dux etc the prices go up and Bosch generally dont last as long .
    Be aware some will need a power outlet fitted nearby for some of the gas models for ignition .
    That will be an additional cost.
    Pretty sure its classed as an emergency repair ,so if its not fixed within a couple of days, tenants can organize it themselves and just send you the bill,so dont waste to much time haggling with different plumbers or on a product that may take a couple of days to get delivered.

For supply and fitted urgently, I would think around $1500

Last edited: 8th Feb, 2019
  8. Anthony Brew

Thank you Paul.

You said that it was $736 just for supply, but then mentioned someone quoted $95 for install and free delivery. Do you mean it is the same company that can install?
    I didn't see where on the site is a number or information to call about installation?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia